PDA

View Full Version : Miracle Mud..to try or not got go there?

JPotter
08-29-2009, 06:23 PM
I have set up a very basic 10 gal tank...bare bottom, sps skeletons (my larger tank over heated when I was away) air pump to curtain wall, koralia nano power head, heater, coralife 50/50 power compact/actinic 96 wat light/fixture, 2 pyjama cardinals, 1 toby puffer. I am toying with putting miracle mud as a base and putting in macro algae.

Will this be a fun and beneficial thing to do or an outright disaster? On this tank I would like to try a system with no skimmer or filters..I don't mind water changes on such a tiny system but avoiding them too often would be nice.

Past posts only seem to refer to miracle mud in refugiums or hang on filters.

naesco
08-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Have no experience with miracle mud but in reading about it it was my opinion that the general consensus is that it is not worth the cost.

BTW a toby requires a minimum 30 gals and a cardinal 20 (You have two of them)
When fish vendors post these minimum requirements, you can be assured they are minimums.

Don't be surprised to have a fish highly stressed with resulting problems and the toby nipping at the cardinals.

Remove the fish and get a couple of small fish suitable for a 10 gallon.

Zoaelite
08-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Have no experience with miracle mud but in reading about it it was my opinion that the general consensus is that it is not worth the cost.

BTW a toby requires a minimum 30 gals and a cardinal 20 (You have two of them)
When fish vendors post these minimum requirements, you can be assured they are minimums.

Don't be surprised to have a fish highly stressed with resulting problems and the toby nipping at the cardinals.

Remove the fish and get a couple of small fish suitable for a 10 gallon.

+1, Even 2 clown fish is pushing it in a 10g.

I'm using a 6inch reef mud/ crushed coral base for my mangrove/ fuge tank and its working amazing at bringing my nitrates down (for my whole 175g system). For a 10g though, I wouldn't worry about it water changes will be a better bet for you.
Levi
(And please like naesco said get those fish out of there or atleast increase it to a 30-40g tank)

ferret
08-29-2009, 08:40 PM
If you are just keeping marco algae instead of sea grass, you don't need to add miracle mud ( too expensive and not worthwhile ) just sand bottom and a few small pcs. of live rock will be fine. And never add any fishes that consume marco algae like tang, angel, rabbit etc otherwise you tank will result in a mess even the algae has established. I've collected and kept nearly 40 types of marco algae in 3 years and encountered a heavy loss once I introduced a couple of angelfish.

BlueAbyss
08-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but where did you get your macros, ferret? I originally wanted to have a macro and LPS reef, but was sort of unable to find any macros interesting enough to order online.

ferret
08-29-2009, 09:53 PM
When there is a new shipment of fresh live rock and that's my opportunity to add my collection of algae by examinating pc by pc carefully. Some are collected at tropical tidal pool by chance.

JPotter
08-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Oh dear..bought fish from LFS who knew it was a tiny tank!! I have 2x 30 gal and a 120 so may end up moving them if unhappy.
What fish do others put in a 10 gal?

Also I had read somewhwere of a method of large volume water changes to reduce nitrates...I think the initial change was huge followed by several 30-40% changes. I can't locate where I read this. Does this method have a "name", is there a reference site, is it feasible or another wrong direction like the cardinals and toby:(

BlueAbyss
08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
I think that's what's referred to as a 'massive water change'? That's probably not necessary... but those fish aren't going to do well at all in that tank. You'll need to find a new home for them very soon.

I have a 10 gallon, I do a 25% water change a week. I'm thinking of doing this every 5 days though, since the water has started to come out of the tank slightly yellow (increased feeding and such from all the new livestock).

My tank contains a Purple Firefish, and a Hector's Goby, an emerald and hermit crab, and various corals. The firefish seems perfectly suitable for this size of tank, and the goby was recommended for this size tank everywhere I looked, BUT when I got it home I was informed it (the goby) will likely starve in anything under a 30 gallon... time will tell, he seems fat enough for the moment. Definitely do your homework before buying anything, though (I learned with this goby) even that won't necessarily save you from a mistake. I love the goby though, very cool fish (hope he makes it for the long term).