PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Salt for the First Time - Basic Questions

Eb0la11
08-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Hey guys,

so Im going to mix the salt for my tank right now and Im just wondering what specific gravity am I aiming for? I seem to see 1.026 being the best but wanted to know some other peoples thoughts.

Also, whats the best way to do it. Basically i have a 165G RODI filled aquarium running with a 25G sump below it also full. So should I just dump a bunch of salt in the DT or should I slowly add it over time or put in like 80% of what I think I'll need then fine tune at the end? What's a good strategy?

Also, I have sand in the bottom of the tank if that makes a difference and the water is a little bit cloudy right now but not super cloudy. I dont think either of those things effect anything though but if they do let me know.

banditpowdercoat
08-29-2009, 12:22 AM
I have allways done 1.024 for my tanks.

ANd on my 150, I dumped in the sand, then a bucket of salt, Then added water. Tank's got to cycle for a month anyways. Salt mixes in 2 days

mark
08-29-2009, 01:09 AM
yes, salinity and other parameters will vary in the ocean depending where it's sampled but this link is a good guide (NSW (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php))

md14
08-29-2009, 01:55 AM
You could dump it all in shouldn't be a big worry, however I havn't read your build thread or anything so I'm not certain if you already know this but your sump should not be completely filled in the event of a power outtage and your pump stops working you would want the sump to be able to hold the run off from the tank.

Eb0la11
08-29-2009, 08:14 AM
You could dump it all in shouldn't be a big worry, however I havn't read your build thread or anything so I'm not certain if you already know this but your sump should not be completely filled in the event of a power outtage and your pump stops working you would want the sump to be able to hold the run off from the tank.

Thanks Md14, I think this is moreless already solved. Ive got an emergency hole drilled in the top of my sump with a line to an empty reservoir should a power outage occur so I think Im ok.

So salt is in, well, not all of it, but most. I will let it mix tonight and test params tomorrow.

Once I get it to a good specific gravity. (what am I aiming for? I thought I read a lot that 1.026 was best but bandit is saying he does 1.024 so what do you guys think? Other opinions?

After this I'll acclimate my live rock on hand and get it in and then start testing other params. What params do I want to test during the cycle? Obviosuly Ammonia then nitrite and nitrate, I know that from FW tanks, but what else do I test in SW?

Myka
08-29-2009, 01:05 PM
I of the 1.026 crowd. The world`s average specific gravity is 1.0264, so I see no reason to deviate. It has worked for me for over a decade.

You don`t have to acclimate live rock, just put it in. Next time, add the salt to your sump instead of your display tank. Sometimes a bunch of undissolved salt landing on the sand will make the sand clump up.

Take a read through the link in my signature for complete details on cycling your tank. :)

kien
08-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Currently I run 1.026 as well, but for no particular reason really. I've run 1.023, 1.024, and 1.025 over the past few years as well. I've never ever noticed a difference (as far as livestock is concerned). I don't think that there is a right or wrong answer, so long as your salinity is within an acceptable (ocean like) range (not too low, not too high), and so long as it is stable. But even then, not too low and not too high is relative..

Stability is key though, that's why it is important to keep an eye on your evaporation as evaporation can quickly raise your salinity. As it raises your tankmates will adapt, but then once you've realized that your water needs to be topped off, you are going to probably have to dump water in there which will lower your salinity again but will probably lower it a lot quicker than it was raised due to evaporation. An auto top off mechanism can track evaporation quicker and virtually eliminate this swing as it only dumps in a little water at a time to compensate for evaporation on an hourly basis 24/7.