PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Reef Crystals?

Eb0la11
08-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Anyone know of a place to get cheapish Instant Ocean Reef Crystals? Right now I paid I think 60 bucks for three bags that can mix roughly 50G. Anyone know of a better price somewhere?

my2rotties
08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I picked up a box of four bags to do 200g for $75 at Big Als... I hate the place, but my regular store had none in stock. The store I use charges $65 for the three 50g bags.

Anyone know of a place to get cheapish Instant Ocean Reef Crystals? Right now I paid I think 60 bucks for three bags that can mix roughly 50G. Anyone know of a better price somewhere?

Eb0la11
08-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Hmmmm sounds comparable. I wish I could find somewhere there was a bit of a break though.

my2rotties
08-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Have you tried Golds? Denis will beat any price out there... I would call him and ask. I was close to BA's when I grabbed the salt, or I would hae gone to GOlds instead to be honest. It is just darned hard to leae there with just salt, if you know what I mean.

mandarin man
08-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Go to Golds, it is $60 for 160gallon bucket. It is the best deal out there.

xtreme
08-29-2009, 01:40 AM
It is just darned hard to leave there with just salt, if you know what I mean.

You're telling me. Went in today for a scraper blade and left with an angel.

Gold's is a good place for salt as well as anything else you may need.

EG-9
08-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I got 2 boxes 200gal box $64.99 from ocean city yesterday !

globaldesigns
08-31-2009, 04:46 PM
+1 Golds sells the pale for $60 and it does 160 gallons.

cchomistek
09-01-2009, 04:59 AM
Why are you actually using Instant Ocean salt? Is it just because it is cheap? You can get a 5 gallon bucket of H2Ocean salt for 80 dollars at Elite Aquatics and this stuff works great.... All of the trace elements are there, unlike IO where you have to add most of this stuff which can cost a bundle and it actually maintains your pH at 8.3 which IO and many other salts can't come even close to. I would like to hear some opposing views to this.

Thanks
Craig

banditpowdercoat
09-01-2009, 06:02 AM
My IO allways has PH 8.3, and supplement MG and CA, cost, about $20 to do 6+ pails with chemmaster's suppliments

globaldesigns
09-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I have used IO almost exclusively and have never had issues with PH or with Trace and I have alot of coral... So I don't pay the extra $$$$ for the more expensive salts.

If you wish, Dennis at Golds had a breakdown of what each salt did, contained, etc. I don't know if he still has that, but because of his research, this is why he no longer carries Reefers Best Salt (Zeovit) and this was long before he stopped carrying the Zeovit line.

IMO, Instant Ocean is great, but if you wish to use a more expensive salt, it will most likely do a great job also.

Kryptic4L
09-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Why are you actually using Instant Ocean salt? Is it just because it is cheap? You can get a 5 gallon bucket of H2Ocean salt for 80 dollars at Elite Aquatics and this stuff works great.... All of the trace elements are there, unlike IO where you have to add most of this stuff which can cost a bundle and it actually maintains your pH at 8.3 which IO and many other salts can't come even close to. I would like to hear some opposing views to this.

Thanks
Craig

IO is a decent salt for the price, since when did 80 dollars become acceptable for a bucket anyways. Every salt has ups and down's, im to lazy to dig up the charts at the moment, but at a glance the price per bucket adds up real quick for people with large tanks. Besides no salt can make up for your indoor air conditions which may play a factor in your ph.

globaldesigns
09-03-2009, 06:57 AM
I guess it comes down to whatever works for you... In my case IO is great... I have 300 gallons of water that I have to work with, and have never had any issues.

I like instant ocean also because it has been around much longer than most other brands, kind of like the grandfather of all salts... So this is why I went with it in the beginning and just have stuck with it.

Oceanic
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
i guess it comes down to whatever works for you... In my case io is great... I have 300 gallons of water that i have to work with, and have never had any issues.

I like instant ocean also because it has been around much longer than most other brands, kind of like the grandfather of all salts... So this is why i went with it in the beginning and just have stuck with it.

+1

Coleus
09-04-2009, 12:51 AM
This is good to know. Time for me buying some IO buckets.

Cheers
________
Iolite portable vaporizer customer reviews (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

Coleus
09-04-2009, 09:01 PM
You're telling me. Went in today for a scraper blade and left with an angel.

Gold's is a good place for salt as well as anything else you may need.

Sigh, went to gold today and only want grab bucket of IO salt, come home with bucket of salt, a tang and two corals. That is an evil place
________
Mexico (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmJU7Qxsl9w)

globaldesigns
09-05-2009, 07:35 AM
HEHE, I do the same thing. It is hard to keep some self control.

What kind of tang and corals, please post pic's when you have time.

Coleus
09-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I bought power brown tang, hammer head, brain. I post picts in my album.

Cheers
________
Iolite vaporizer (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

soapy
09-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Oceans is having a sale right now, 55 dollars for a bucket of reef crystals. Pretty good deal.