PDA

View Full Version : Aquariums..

Chaloupa
08-27-2009, 02:09 AM
We're traveling the US right now and of course have done the usual aquarium stops....one HUGE recommendation would be the Steinhart Aquarium at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. OMG it's amazing. The fish are the healthiest I've ever seen in an aquarium, it was hard to walk away from the 212,000 gallon aquarium. It was stunning and the fish were fantastic. There were several different reef setups from different area's but this tank was mind blowing....the fish here looked healthier than the ones at Seaworld AND they have a tank of Leafy Sea Dragons!!!!!!! I could go on...but if you're traveling I would soooo go to this aquarium!!!!

Lance
08-27-2009, 02:39 AM
Cool. I LOVE S.F. Next time I go I'll check it out.

whiteice669
08-27-2009, 02:41 AM
and of course you took lots of pictures

Delphinus
08-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Steinhart is on my list of aquariums to visit. In fact I'm kinda hoping to go this fall, but we'll see if I can make that dream a reality. Charles Delbeek moved to there away from the Waikiki Aquarium, must be pretty plum to be able to lure a Canadian away from Hawaii!!!! :lol:

Chaloupa
08-27-2009, 05:33 AM
It is AWESOME!!!!!!!! I would have stayed all day in front of the big tank but my 5 year old got bored quickly! We got some pics but most would not allow flash and of course flash just reflected off the glass no matter what we tried...and then the ones without flash...well not great but we tried..while we were at Universal our camera was stolen last week.so replaced it with a cheaper model. And not knowing we were going to this aquarium we didn't bring the Nikon D80 DAMMIT!

karazy
08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
sounds awesome! also if your in San Fransisco you should check out the ADA store there (they have tanks that were set up by takashi amano)

targa81
08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow, your post is timely for me, I'm going to SF tomorrow. I hadn't planned on going to the aquarium but I will now. I saw the seadragons at the aquarium in San Diego last month and absolutely loved them.

Chaloupa
08-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow, your post is timely for me, I'm going to SF tomorrow. I hadn't planned on going to the aquarium but I will now. I saw the seadragons at the aquarium in San Diego last month and absolutely loved them.

I loved it so much more than any other I'd seen before. It was fantastic! Have fun!! We'll most likely pass each other on the road unless you're flying!:biggrin:

Chaloupa
08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
What is the ADA store? I'd like to go there

Veng68
08-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Is this the ADA store that your talking about?

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_home

Cheers,
Vic

karazy
08-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Is this the ADA store that your talking about?

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_home

Cheers,
Vic

thats ADA's website, but they do have a store in san fransisco.

Veng68
08-27-2009, 10:56 PM
They give the store address on the contact page
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=contact_usp

Cheers,
Vic

bulletsworld
08-28-2009, 10:08 PM
I saw the seadragons at the aquarium in San Diego last month and absolutely loved them.

Where in San Diego did you see the leafy sea dragons? Was it in SeaWorld aquarium? I'm heading there in 28 days! :Banane44: I can't wait!

bulletsworld
08-28-2009, 10:12 PM
It is AWESOME!!!!!!!! I would have stayed all day in front of the big tank but my 5 year old got bored quickly! We got some pics but most would not allow flash and of course flash just reflected off the glass no matter what we tried...and then the ones without flash...well not great but we tried..while we were at Universal our camera was stolen last week.so replaced it with a cheaper model. And not knowing we were going to this aquarium we didn't bring the Nikon D80 DAMMIT!

:sad: I was looking forward to pictures! :sad:

I will have to check this aquarium out!

Chaloupa
08-29-2009, 03:00 AM
:sad: I was looking forward to pictures! :sad:

I will have to check this aquarium out!

Totally check it out...for me it was a better experience than seeing the Seaworld displays. The fish were all incredibly healthy and not eating bunches of romaine lettuce. None had any lateral line issues or anything at the Science Center. We also saw the King Tut exhibit just across the parking lot/garden there...if you like ancient Egyptian stuff it's awesome!

jsmth321
08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Totally check it out...for me it was a better experience than seeing the Seaworld displays. The fish were all incredibly healthy and not eating bunches of romaine lettuce. None had any lateral line issues or anything at the Science Center. We also saw the King Tut exhibit just across the parking lot/garden there...if you like ancient Egyptian stuff it's awesome!

Birch Aquarium in San Diego is nicer if you are looking for just an aquarium and not a marine theme park.

I miss the Sea World of my childhood...

Also in Northern California not a terrible distance** from San Francisco is Monterey Bay Aquarium. Monterey Bay currently has a Great White* on exhibit as well.

*They do not keep Greats on permanent display, previous sharks were kept anywhere from 11 days to 5 1/2 months before being released back to the ocean.

** only 200 km's

targa81
08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
The seadragons were at the Birch Aquarium. I would recommend it, a totally different experience from Seaworld . Nicely stocked and maintained aquariums in a beautiful location overlooking the ocean.

bulletsworld
09-03-2009, 08:21 AM
The seadragons were at the Birch Aquarium. I would recommend it, a totally different experience from Seaworld . Nicely stocked and maintained aquariums in a beautiful location overlooking the ocean.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I checked out the website, not expensive either. Only $12 bucks to go. I will check it out and take pictures. :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
09-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Also in Northern California not a terrible distance** from San Francisco is Monterey Bay Aquarium. Monterey Bay currently has a Great White* on exhibit as well.

HOLY CRAP! I never knew there was anyone out there that ever kept one captive in an aquarium before. Thanks for posting this. Perfect timing too. If the great white is still on display. I will keep an eye for their news feed on their website. lt would be just so fascinating just see one in real life. :shocked:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_whiteshark/whiteshark_ours.aspx