PDA

View Full Version : what kind of screw should I use for a diy stand?

nlreefguy
08-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Is there a particular type of screw I should use for the 2X4's? Are some screw more salt-resistant than others? I know stainless steel would probably be the best, but it seems rather expensive and is it perhaps overdoing things? Your opinions, please.

Glennrf38
08-26-2009, 02:01 PM
I used galvenized deck screws. It's been 2 years now.

hillegom
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I used painted deck screws from home depot

Glennrf38
08-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Thats what I meant......... the brown ones......

kien
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I used three different types and sizes of screws, some galvanized, some brown deck, and some plain stainless steel. In the end my entire stand including the screws and metal plates I used were all painted over with waterproof sealing primer and then a coat of waterproof paint on top of that :biggrin: Personally I would be more concerned about sealing the 2x4 wood to make sure they don't absorb water/moisture.

Also, it is a good idea to use wood glue on your DIY stand. The glue will make your stand a lot sturdier than just screws would. The glue also helps to seal cracks in between the wood :-)

lastlight
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
+1

I used the green deck screws just because I had a billion left-over from my fence build. It doesn't matter if you seal everything up. I like to fill screw holes with silicone and then seal the stand although this time I simply painted over all the screws with the same 3 coats of melamine the rest of the stand got.

Over a year DRY and no rust. Can you believe it?!

And yeah use wood glue. You have a much better chance of breaking the screws than the glue. You can't appreciate the glue's strength until you decide you don't like where you put a support and try to crowbar it out. You have a better idea when you decide the support can stay because you're tearing the surrounding wood the shreds.

sphelps
08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah decking screws are ideal, I like the green ones because they're green :mrgreen:
I also like to pre-drill to prevent cracking and splitting.

kien
08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah decking screws are ideal, I like the green ones because they're green :mrgreen:
I also like to pre-drill to prevent cracking and splitting.

oh yes, +1 for pre-drilling all your holes! You won't appreciate this until you split your first 2x4 and then have to run to home depot to get another one at 10pm.

PoonTang
08-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Yep. glue and screw, mine is over 2 years old and still like new. Also I went frameless, as in no 2x4 frame. Just used single or double thickness 3/4 plywood. I used Red Oak and then Oak trim. It was easy to build and very strong and very clean inside.

nlreefguy
08-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the opinions, guys. That was very helpful. Glue in addition it is! I had no idea about that one...