PDA

View Full Version : maximum height for a diy stand?

nlreefguy
08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
What would you think would be the optimum height for a diy stand for a 54 gallon tank? For esthetics, I mean... I know it's largely personal preference but I can't decide whether to optimize for viewing when sitting or standing. Just looking for opinions, I guess.

Glennrf38
08-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Mine is 33 1/2 inches from the floor. Great for sitting at the kitchen table and I can still reach the bottom of the tank for cleaning.

banditpowdercoat
08-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I did my 150g 33" to top, but now, in hindsight, woulda went 35/36. More room underneith for skimmer/sump access.

Glennrf38
08-26-2009, 02:38 PM
35/36 would work well too. I'm too short for that kinda height though LOL

Dez
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I went from my tippy toes to the height of my armpit minus the height of the tank to get the final stand height. I still don't know what that height is, but it works because I don't need a stool to reach the bottom of my tank :)

kien
08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I went 36", and I need a stool to reach the bottom of my tank hehe.. Or calipers. I don't mind though, there's lots of room under the stand for junk, it is cavernous. It is also a good viewing height while sitting or standing in my opinion. Short people like me have to look upwards a little while sitting but it is a different and cool perspective. My last tank stand was roughly 30" and everyone kept having to bend over to look at the tank.

fkshiu
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Don't forget to leave enough room underneath for your skimmer if that's where you are keeping it. Conversely, if you have a low ceiling like in a basement and want a cap on top you have to take that into account.

steve fedyk
08-26-2009, 04:55 PM
I biult my stand at 42" of 120G, so I can stand and look at my tank and have lots of room under neath.

lastlight
08-26-2009, 04:58 PM
my tank bottom is 43" from the floor. It's tall but so am I. I have long arms and still have a foldout ladder for the tank that i tuck between it and the wall.

I have tons of space for equipment and with the open top and pendant...there is absolutely no light spill/glare even with 12 t5 bulbs because the waterline is between everyone's eyes and the bulbs.

sphelps
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I think 36" is a happy medium, works well for sitting and standing and provides enough room underneath for your sump and skimmer. It may also be wise to make sure you can't see the light bulbs in your fixture when you sit down, this can be annoying if you can see them.

When I sized my tank and stand I measured the distance from the floor to my arm pit and made tank height + the stand height = to that. I can now stand comfortably with my arm in the tank, with no stools or crouching required :biggrin:.

lastlight
08-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I also have cats with MAD UPS.

If you're in this boat too and you have an open top with a burning hot pendant above...you want to keep them from getting up there. My couches are strategically positioned to also keep the fur-balls from getting up there. I've seen them try and I amost died laughing.

nlreefguy
08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I was thinking about something in the high range, like maybe 42".... what are the pros and cons of this? Is it safe to say that the tank would be at good eye level when standing with that height of stand?

steve fedyk
08-27-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm 6' tall and is great hight for me, but I get a stoll to do tank cleaning. I also biult a canopy to reduse the light spilledge. I also biuld a ledge in front of the tank and book shelfs on each side, for book, cat and Ca reactor.
My stand measure 42" tall by 28"wide and 86" long.