PDA

View Full Version : what kind of anemone is this?

burrows14
08-26-2009, 05:26 AM
it was given to me buy my friends i bought my tank off of..

marie
08-26-2009, 05:33 AM
It appears to be a badly bleached, rose bubbletip anemone. Feed it frequently until it regains its colour

burrows14
08-26-2009, 05:36 AM
ive had it for 3 months and target feed it once a day. is there some thing else i should be doing?

fkshiu
08-26-2009, 05:38 AM
What do you feed it and what is your lighting? Also, what are your nitrate/phosphate levels?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-26-2009, 05:45 AM
I have two Rose BTAs that are very white (pale fluorescent green under actinic) base & neon hot pink tips, sort of like the one in the picture.

There appears to be a sub-variety of RBTA that is naturally coloured like this.

I feed mine by squirting mysis/bloodworms at them most days.

Anthony

burrows14
08-26-2009, 05:48 AM
i feed it brine , marine cuisine , and i use kent phytoplankton. the lighting is the standard biocube 29 light(just put in fresh bulbs. test my water last thursday and all my levels were spot on. the people i got it off had it in their tank for 6 months and it has never changed in colour.

burrows14
08-26-2009, 05:52 AM
yeah i feed mine with a turkey baster. its in a good spot(good flow and light) and seems to be happy. its grown about 20% since i added it into my tank.

fkshiu
08-26-2009, 05:57 AM
i feed it brine , marine cuisine , and i use kent phytoplankton. the lighting is the standard biocube 29 light(just put in fresh bulbs. test my water last thursday and all my levels were spot on. the people i got it off had it in their tank for 6 months and it has never changed in colour.

There does seem to be a variety of BTA that will remain white in even the most ideal of conditions as Anthony mentioned. You could try feeding it something a bit more substantial like PE mysis - brine has no nutritional value, marine cuisine is all mushed up stuff and BTAs don't filter feed so they don't derive any direct benefit from phyto. My BTA seems happiest when it gets to much on something still with some form to it like mysis.

burrows14
08-26-2009, 06:04 AM
ill give that a try! it always seems to be hungry so ill change its diet. thanks for the tips!

Skimmin
08-26-2009, 06:06 AM
I may be wrong but I wonder if it's what you are feeding it. I've had a few anemone's but never had one bleach on me. I have a Sebae anemone right now that's about one and a half to two feet around. I feed it 2 or 3 whole krill and silver sides for a single serving, about every week or two. If you wanted, you could start with pieces of Krill and/or silver sides and see what happens.

fkshiu
08-26-2009, 06:11 AM
I may be wrong but I wonder if it's what you are feeding it. I've had a few anemone's but never had one bleach on me. I have a Sebae anemone right now that's about one and a half to two feet around. I feed it 2 or 3 whole krill and silver sides for a single serving, about every week or two. If you wanted, you could start with pieces of Krill and/or silver sides and see what happens.

Use caution if feeding something bigger like whole krill or silversides to a BTA. Feeding an anemone more than it can handle will result in it barfing the food back up which is not good on several levels.

fishytime
08-26-2009, 12:11 PM
PC lighting isnt the best for nems either. That may have something to do with its condition.

pinhead
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
My normal coloured RBTA bleached to this colour after a tank crash due to an overheated tank. It took 6 to 8 months to recover. However, I was not feeding it everyday. It might recover faster if you fed it less or tried a different food. When I first got the anenome, I didn't feed it at all. Clowns would occasionally feed it - but other than that, it was completely photosynthetic.

burrows14
08-26-2009, 11:53 PM
i wish my clowns would feed it but they wont go anywhere near the thing. i have 2 false percs , im thinking of selling them and getting another type of clown any idea what kind wold be compitable with this bta?