PDA

View Full Version : Nano 28 or 29 gallon?

Palmer
08-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to salt water (actually not even new I don't have a tank yet!), I have had an african cichlid tank for about 10 years and decided to take the next plunge. Although it seems to me that going the nano reef route may be more challenging in many respects I am still considering this route.

I was looking at the Oceanic 29 gallon and the JBJ 28 Gallon and wondering what folks thought about the pro's and cons of the two models from the perspective of the stock configuration and what you can initially keep. I am also interested in peoples experience with how easy each can be upgraded in relation to each other? I have looked at Nano tuners and it looks as if both can be upgraded but wasn't sure if one had more flexibility.

Thanks in advance to any advice you can give!

Palmer

gbeef
08-28-2009, 04:37 PM
There both about the same, there only difference is when you jump to a HQI (nanocube). The biocube does have ballast problems there cheap and the fans crap out also.
I have a biocube despite those problems i still love mine.

Overall there the same your going to do stuff like replace the pump. ditch the bioballs.

muck
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Welcome to Canreef Palmer!! :mrgreen:

skabooya
08-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Welcome. Your going to have a lot of reading to do :)
I too was looking at AIO tanks and i finally settled on buying everything seperate. I chose this route because I could get what I wanted for my 28gal. AIO tanks tend to need mods and if anything went wrong with the tank (as happened before to some people) its a pain to get replacements and most people just end up modding to upgrade for better lights, fans, powerheads, etc.
Then again, AIO tanks are pretty much plug and play. Check out the other threads on here and other reef sites to look at both kinds of tanks you want. Whichever turnes you on more, you get.

mseepman
08-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I have a DIY nano tank that I really enjoy but I agree that AIO are plug and play and probably a good place to start. I think that the JBJ might be a little more flexible for adding things down the road.

There are a few other options for you to look at...the Solana from Current, the Finnex and the Cadlights. Take a peek at those online and then you might find an option you like better. Especially since our dollar is so close to PAR with the US dollar, something like the 22G Cadlights with T5HO and full refugium might be a better buy as you won't have to update much.

Snaz
08-28-2009, 09:46 PM
You haven't already read the AIO forum on nano-reef.com There are LOTS of threads comparing these two tanks with lots of opinions. That site is invaluable for nano reefing. I for one believe nano tanks are easier to setup and maintain than larger tanks if one important rule is followed and that it is to go slow.

Welcome to canreef where you will find the best of Canada's reefers.

Palmer
08-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am still a few months out and just researching right now. I have been going back and forth on just doing my own tank with seperate components or doing an AIO. I also just found out about the CANLIGHTS brand and really liked there stuff as well. I haven't broken it down but it appears to be a pretty good deal for what you get.

Palmer

intarsiabox
08-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Welcome! AIO units definetly look slicker but you can also set up your own with higher end components for the same price. Can't go wrong either way though, you'll enjoy both! You can also look at getting a small tank custom made with overflows to a sump for a good price. Keep researching and I'm sure you'll come up with right system for you.:biggrin: