PDA

View Full Version : How dumb do I feel?

Ian
08-25-2009, 11:13 PM
I have had a little bubble algae growth in my Biocube and decided to remove it manually today. I got so focussed on the task that I forgot 1 very important detail....where is the DWARF LION FISH.... Bet you can figure out the next part, YUP I now have 2 fingers on my right hand that feel like they are on fire....figured it would happen someday but Damn not much fun.

:redface::redface::redface::redface:

cuz
08-25-2009, 11:15 PM
thats funny!! sucks for you..but funny!!!
make sure you watch for infection!

Jason McK
08-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Ouch Sorry man that's one way to learn a lesson

J

JDigital
08-26-2009, 12:00 AM
damn! that SUCKS... Doesn't he know "Don't bite (or sting) the hand that feeds"?:lol:

Lance
08-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Hey, I know how you feel. I got nailed by my Foxface last year; my own stupid fault.

sphelps
08-26-2009, 12:55 AM
FYI you treat lionfish stings by soaking them in hot water.

fkshiu
08-26-2009, 02:54 AM
Pretty impressive that you can still type with no spelling or grammatical errors :)

Ian
08-26-2009, 03:02 AM
HEHE I type with 2 fingers at best. Well after about 15 minutes in hot water and a few hours the pain is gone, fingers are very stiff but it was an experience.
My last day before returning back to work ( I am a teacher) gives me a neat storey to tell:smile:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Back in the late 80s, I had a 13" Volitan lionfish that was used to being hand fed & it, one day when I was stupid & not paying attention, stuck two poison-filled dorsal spines into me. Got sooooo bad, I was yelling at my brother to cut off my right arm when the poison moved up towards my shoulder/chest. Luckily, PoisonControl told me to soak it under hot water (I used almost boiling water) to denature the poison/enzyme/proteins before they caused permanent damage to my internal organs. Ended up with nasty burns but nothing I couldn't live with.

Yeah, lionfish are beautiful but deadly. Luckily for you, it was JUST a dwarf:wink::surprise:

Anthony

fishoholic
08-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Sorry to hear you guys got stung, good to know about the hot water though.

Navarchus
08-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Two down 8 to go....god speed.....:wink:

banditpowdercoat
08-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Back in the late 80s, I had a 13" Volitan lionfish that was used to being hand fed & it, one day when I was stupid & not paying attention, stuck two poison-filled dorsal spines into me. Got sooooo bad, I was yelling at my brother to cut off my right arm when the poison moved up towards my shoulder/chest. Luckily, PoisonControl told me to soak it under hot water (I used almost boiling water) to denature the poison/enzyme/proteins before they caused permanent damage to my internal organs. Ended up with nasty burns but nothing I couldn't live with.

Yeah, lionfish are beautiful but deadly. Luckily for you, it was JUST a dwarf:wink::surprise:

Anthony

Volitan's can be THAT bad???!!!!! Well, scratch me getting one now :(
What about Foxface rabbitfish? what theier stings like?

fishoholic
08-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Volitan's can be THAT bad???!!!!! Well, scratch me getting one now :(
What about Foxface rabbitfish? what theier stings like?

foxface aren't to bad. Kind of a numb yet bee sting like sensation all at once for a few minutes then back to normal.

Boomboy
08-27-2009, 02:41 AM
im pretty sure your supposed to pee on it, just pee on it next time:lol::lol:

Ian
08-27-2009, 03:25 AM
well fingers are pain free but stiff as hell still today and a little swollen. as for the rabbitfish I will take your word for it and try to not touch mine....

meh who am I kidding its only a matter of time as it already eats from my fingers when I am putting in seaweed...1st fish I have ever had that showed no fear of my hands from day 1.

Lance
08-27-2009, 04:09 AM
well fingers are pain free but stiff as hell still today and a little swollen. as for the rabbitfish I will take your word for it and try to not touch mine....

meh who am I kidding its only a matter of time as it already eats from my fingers when I am putting in seaweed...1st fish I have ever had that showed no fear of my hands from day 1.

That`s exactly how I got it from my Foxface. Had been feeding him by hand for months. One day I was doing some re-arranging in the tank and felt something at my arm. The Foxface was nibbling on the hair on my arm. Of course I flinched and pulled my arm away just as he was moving in the same direction. BINGO! Got Me! And it hurt like hell. Just like a wasp sting. Not much swelling though, and pain was pretty much gone in a few hours. Not as bad as your Lionfish sting but never-the-less bad enough to keep my eye on the little bugger after that. :mrgreen: