PDA

View Full Version : Tank Wipe:(

Oxymoron
08-25-2009, 10:40 PM
So I left for town for work for 3 days and come home to a rotting mess.
My 50 gal predator tank has suffered a complete wipe except for a peppermint shrimp and a snowflake moray.
It used to house a 2" koran Angel and a 2" valentini puffer as well as a 2" hawkfish.
Everything was fine. I left specific feeding instructions.
Apparently my puffer died last night and instead of telling me he decided to just toss him out and go ahead with his day.
I arrived today to see the hawkfish dead cloudy water and my eel breathing heavy.
After searching for the angel I found a third of his rotted body and Imagine he had died a couple days ago and was left to rot.
I've thrown the eel in the sump of my 90 gal and am hoping he will pull through.
Not sure where to go from here. Just thought I would share an experience I was hoping would never happen.
Im pretty upset with the whole situation at the moment and don't know what to do with this tank.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sharuq1
08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
:( That's terrible Adam. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

Oxymoron
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks Kelly:) I might bring all the coral from this tank over to you tommorow if you will be around.
Not sure what will survive but I should be able to tell soon enough.
To be honest after posting this I took measurements of the space I have and am considering a 4ft tank to take its place and perhaps clean this 50 gal and throw it in the basement as a hospital / quarantine tank.
Maybe a larger system with top notch filtration would of been able to avoid this.

Oxymoron
08-25-2009, 11:01 PM
The Koran angel had just been added to my sytem about 6 days ago and seemed to of been adapting well and eating great.
I suspect maybe he died and his body was left to rot which caused a nitrate spike which eventually killed everything:(
Kelly I have some fuzzy mushrooms and gsp and xenia in this tank as well as some colt coral and a small zoa frag.
If you could provide a home for this guys (perhaps the little tank) It would be appreciated.
Should I just allow this tank to sit for the time being ? Its void of life now so I don't see why it cant sit and "re cycle" while I decide what to do.

sharuq1
08-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Is it still full of yucky water? Maybe if you do a couple big water changes on it the tank would still be useable. You can run some carbon on it for a bit and skim. I can babysit your corals in my seahorse tank (or if they are small in the club's nano) till your tank is back on it's feet if you'd like.

PuffLuv
08-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your tank going down! At least you have a friend to help you out:biggrin:. Speaking of Kelly, are you the same Kelly that runs "The Club"?

sharuq1
08-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Kinda. I don't actually run it though. The guy who runs it is Jim Sayers. I just help...a bit too much.:redface:

fishoholic
08-26-2009, 04:27 AM
That sucks, sorry for your losses :sad:

PuffLuv
08-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Kinda. I don't actually run it though. The guy who runs it is Jim Sayers. I just help...a bit too much.:redface:
Well, I think you do a great job!! I've met you a couple times years ago, you're friends with one of my best friends - Travis (Fleshgear promo days, etc). I'll have to check out your nano at The Club next time I'm in town!:biggrin:

Oxymoron
08-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
Kelly when I get back to town I will bring over any coral that is left in this tank.
The 90 gal is doing fine and the eel and peppermint shrimp have survived.
I am just going to leave the live rock in the tank for now and allow the system to re cycle.
I've decided to change this tank out with a 4ft 90 to 110 gal and will be putting the 50 gal in the basement as a hospital / quarantine tank.
Thanks to the community for your guidance and support.
Adam

sharuq1
09-02-2009, 11:30 PM
How's the tank doing? I haven't heard from you, my cell no. has changed but my landline is the same. Let me know if you need any help.