PDA

View Full Version : skimmer waste storage container

banditpowdercoat
08-25-2009, 02:53 AM
well, I have my skimmer running into a 2L pop bottle. but, it has overflowed twice now. Once the skimmer went nutz, now, the Mrs forgot to check while I'm away. What ideas do all of you have for a storage container? Ive seen some that use a float to shut it off when full? can't find good pics tho.

What do we all use?

Mrfish55
08-25-2009, 03:00 AM
I have the Precision marine collector, uses a high tech float (ping pong ball), I am happy with mine, no more floods!

whatcaneyedo
08-25-2009, 03:24 AM
I built this PM knock-off two weeks ago. Aqua-c also makes one that looks and works in much the same way.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture367.jpg

Lance
08-25-2009, 04:00 AM
I use the My Reef Creations collector.

steveg
09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi there, I just got one of these, highly technical with a ping pong ball as an overflow prevention...

http://www.superskimmer.com/Waste%20Containers.htm

bvlester
09-11-2009, 03:00 AM
looks like a great idea but I don't know. keep everyone informed as to how it is working for you..

Bill

mike31154
09-11-2009, 04:40 AM
I use the 2L pop bottle, but have it sitting in an ice cream pail for added capacity just in case. My skimmer runs fairly dry so it takes a very looong time to fill up, weeks probably.

Only time I ever overflowed the pop bottle was when I mispositioned the air stones too close to the skimmer outlet pipe and it caused a partial blockage. Couldn't figure out why the cup was overflowing with the ball valve I use to control the water column height all the way open. The pump I use is normally not able to overflow the skimmer with the valve fully open. Thought to myself, how does a pump get more powerful when it gets older?? Then I noticed a slight knocking noise and realized it was the airstones getting sucked against the outlet causing a restriction resulting in the water column rising too high, doh.

UnderTheSea
09-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Tap a JG fitting into the cap on a 2L or 3L bottle and run the line from your skimmer cup into that.

Personally I used to use an additional capacity of the 3L bottle on the CSS200 but then realized I became a little lax in cleaning the skimmer cup and skimmer itself. Upgraded to a ER RS250 and don't plan to drill it for an additional collection.

byee
09-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I went thru the same learning curve using a cranberry 1 gallon jug with a simple slightly oversized hole drilled into the lid.

I've modified it by using a barbed type fitting similar to a bulkhead fitting. Also drilled one into the top of the waste as a safety. Once the jug over fills, the waste cup will start to fill until it reaches the safety. Mine just flows back into the sump.

Much better option then coming home to a flooded basement !

If anyone is interested, I can post photos.

mark
09-13-2009, 03:53 PM
My skimmer sits in my sump so if I forget to empty the cup, just spills back into it.

Clean the cup and neck every time I empty it.

banditpowdercoat
09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Clean the cup every time??!!! What a novel idea LOL. Acctually, removal of my cup is a PITA. My sump is acctually to tall. Thats why the collection bottle. Longer time before I have to exert expletitives

Doug
09-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Dan, I have seen many aquarists, including myself once, make a waste collector from a salt bucket. Works great but, always though it was pretty large for an overflow.

Same design could be used for a smaller bucket or anything with a sealed top. Same as others, a ping pong ball was used for the float and air shut off when collector was full.

steve fedyk
09-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I have a prencision marine waste collector( wc410) for sale if your intrested.