PDA

View Full Version : need help keeping my tanks cool

clowntrigger
08-02-2003, 01:58 AM
i need some help keeping my tanks cools during these hot days, yes we do have a few hot day here in Canada :) . i have been able to keep my tanks under 84 degress with lil clip on fans blowing into the sump. what i want to know is a way to have the fans only come on for example at above 80 degress and then turn back off it the temp of the tank drops below 80
also what tempature is bad i heard 85 plus things start to take harm

Son Of Skyline
08-02-2003, 03:55 AM
My tank's been hitting 89 here and there and so far so good. One of my acro frags doesn't look too good but I'm not sure if it's because of the heat.

christyf5
08-02-2003, 03:57 AM
My tank hit 93.7 on Tuesday night. Everything seems fine. Scary though! :eek: :frown:
Its fan mania in my basement.

Aquattro
08-02-2003, 04:03 AM
I've been going from 80 to 88, 89 for a couple of weeks now. Today hit 90 in my tank! Lost one tiny frag, everything else is fine.

ron101
08-02-2003, 04:05 AM
Yikes Christy, that's getting close to fish soup temperature.

christyf5
08-02-2003, 04:09 AM
I know, the lights have been off for three days now. The temp is finally down to 84 today so I turned them on. The stormy weather over the reef has passed. :biggrin:

clowntrigger
08-02-2003, 04:31 AM
wow guess my not all that bad, anyone have a idea s oh how one can get the fan to turn on by its self ? is there a way to attach a termastat ?(spelling ? )

zulu_principle
08-02-2003, 05:00 AM
Expensive but a great addition for the summer months.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=ic-pfan

Old Guy
08-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Back in the days before I had the central air installed :mrgreen: , I would freeze some water in a plastic jug and let it float around for awhile. Worked ok. Freezing some ro water as ice cubes for top off may be an idea.

robbyville
08-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Like most I have frozen bottles of water and placed in sump with some success. Still those are some pretty hot temps.

We have gotten to over 37 degrees here in Whistler but my tank has not gone over 82 and I have no air conditioning. If it's any help I have been using the following:

2x Icecap variable speed fans (purchased at J&L like Wendel mentioned), they are unbelieveably quiet. I originally had one blowing in and one out but after the first day set them both up to blow cooler air into the canopy with venting from the back, this helped to the tune of 1 degree or so. I removed the plexi cover from the top of my tank so the fans are blowing more or less over the water, this has kept the tank below 80 degrees for the past two days. Lastly, I have a small clip on fan that blows directly onto the water of the sump. I have been able to keep the halides on for over 10hrs per day with no problems.

You can view the canopy I just built here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222009

Hope this helps,

Rob