PDA

View Full Version : Shared sump question

ElGuappo
08-20-2009, 11:01 PM
i am going to be building a 2 tank system with a shared sump and am wondering if a single return pump feeding both tanks would work. or is it a hazard should one tanks overflow clog? both tanks will have an emergency overflow as well.

just wondering if it would be better to run a smaller return for each tank instead of a larger return "t"'d to both tanks.

Any input would help

Thanks.

mike

Edit: guess i should add both tanks are going to be approx 26 G each with a sump about 40 to 50 gallons.

sphelps
08-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Yes it can be done without introducing any potential problems. My previous setup was two tanks which shared a common sump, feeding off the same return pump. In addition I've setup and assisted in setting up a few systems which used a shared sump and return pump as well.

It's pretty simple, you just need to build a manifold for the pump so you can independently control the flow to each sump. You also need to make sure your sump and equipment is big enough for both tanks.

golf nut
08-21-2009, 01:31 AM
It's pretty simple, you just need to build a manifold for the pump so you can independently control the flow to each sump.

Did I read the post wrong, I thought he had just one sump, then I would think if you had a manifold on the pump as you suggest there should be no issues as it all drains to the same place.

Or did you mean control the the flow to each tank?

sphelps
08-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Yes each tank, sorry :redface: