PDA

View Full Version : Dendrophyllia reproduction??

Nebthet
08-20-2009, 03:49 AM
I had the oddest thing happen when I had performed and aiptasia removal with Joe's Juice today and then a water change an hour and a half later.

Just after I did the water change and just before and a bit during putting the pumps back on, my Dendros started spewing a white milky substance from them.

I at first though I may have accidentally got some Juice in the one big head, but I noticed this was also coming from the smaller heads, and there was no other Juice remnants or beads even close to the Dendros. (There were no viewable aiptasia near them.

I so wish I was able to get a pic of it happening to show you.. It was interesting.

So off to the internet I went searching out what was going on.
I was rather amazed at what little there was out there in regards to Dendro or even sun coral reproduction, but I did find some information and I cross my fingers and hope it is right.

According to the information found, yes, my Dendros were reproducing via asexual planula larvae.
Apparemtly, this is something Dendros and sun corals do when the conditions are right. It definately makes me want to experiment. So, the next time I do a water change, I am going to change the water first, whip it up good in the bucket to oxydate it more, and then leave all pumps off for a couple of hours and just put the moonlights on. I want to see if perhaps the still water and lights or no lights will have an affect. I am factoring just the moonlights for the suncorals because they wont open in full tank light.

So, in a few weeks I should start seeing a couple tiny dendro buds here and there throughout my tank if they found a good place to hook onto.

Has any one else had experience with this?

naesco
08-20-2009, 04:28 AM
I doubt very much that there is anything positive out of the spewing of liquid by your dendros.
It more likely that the dendro reacted to the use of the strong additive and it most certainly will hasten your dendros demise.
I am surprised that you would still find a LFS who carries them as most respectable LFS would never sell dendros.
The chances of survival of dendros is next to nil. I have researched this coral and the only success is in a species tank with optimum conditions including vast quantities of phytoplankton to the point where the water is continuously green.

Please see the article by Bornemann, a noted author and expert in coral.
http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/1296/1296_4.html

If your LFS did not tell you this, return the coral to your LFS for a full refund.

Nebthet
08-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Actually I have had this Dendro in my system for over a month now. I have put Joe's juice in there before.

In addition to that, the dendro itsself is not deteriorating at all. After releasing the white stuff, it went back to normal with flowing tentacles etc like it always does.

There are a few people on wet web media whom have had the same thing happen with their dendros and sun corals.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dendroreprofaqs.htm

Because my dendro is acting normal now and looks normal and is even taking food, I am not going to worry.

Also I looked at your article. It is for DendroNephthea.. not DendroPhyllia. Two very different corals. But thanks for the info, I was considering one of those corals in the future, so I will keep that article for reference.

Snaz
08-20-2009, 05:24 AM
The chances of survival of dendros is next to nil.
If your LFS did not tell you this, return the coral to your LFS for a full refund.

Hmm... Really? I have had my Dendro for 10 months+ It was a fingernail fragment freebie when I got it and now it is my centre piece.

http://snaz.com/marine/dendrobig.jpg

Nebthet
08-20-2009, 05:28 AM
I think Naesco got mixed up between DendroNephtheas, which do not normally do well in captivity and are a soft coral, and the DendroPhyllia we keep which are in the same family as Tubastraes.

naesco
08-20-2009, 06:46 AM
I think Naesco got mixed up between DendroNephtheas, which do not normally do well in captivity and are a soft coral, and the DendroPhyllia we keep which are in the same family as Tubastraes.

And I did. Sorry
Wayne

Nebthet
08-20-2009, 04:06 PM
That is ok.. at least I learned something from your article.. that is always a good thing.