PDA

View Full Version : anemone import from the US

spikehs
07-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Just wondering if anyone could see any problems importing an anemone from the states? I was told they are classified as a soft coral under CITES and thus no permit is needed..So if thats true I couldn't really see any other problems..

Nullig
07-31-2003, 03:08 PM
I've been trying for about a week or so to get info about CITES from various agencies involved, but have not had much luck.

As far as I can tell, if the species is not on the CITES list, then no permit is required. The trick is getting it across the border. How does the customs officer know whether it is on the list or not. There must be some kind of certificate to explicitly denote it as a non-CITES species.

I am still trying to find out how to go about this, as I'm interested in importing some Zoos from "the sea.org".

If you can find any info, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Noel

spikehs
07-31-2003, 03:14 PM
well i went here : http://www.cites.org/eng/append/index.shtml
then looked at the appendex and it looks like only the following corals are restricted (assuming I am looking in the right) place:

HELIOPORACEA Blue corals
STOLONIFERA Tubiporidae Organ-pipe corals
ANTIPATHARIA Black corals
SCLERACTINIA Stony corals
CLASS HYDROZOA
(SEA FERNS, FIRE CORALS, STINGING MEDUSAE)
MILLEPORINA Milleporidae Fire corals
STYLASTERINA Stylasteridae Lace corals

but from what i have read in other posts live rock needs a CITES permit and thus anything attached to it (like the zoo's) will likely need one...again
not sure if I am correct here, can anyone confirm?

UnderWorldAquatics
07-31-2003, 04:24 PM
most corals need cities permits and anything attached to rock needs cities, clams need cities, rock needs cities, and a few restricted fish need cities, shrimp, starfish, crustaceans, anemones, and jellyfish dont need cities, but everything needs an invoice with the scientific name

spikehs
07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
thanks deepblue. I think I will probably order one...I'll let everyone know how it works ok.
EDIT: deepblue could you think of any other documents or anything that would make the transistion go "smoother" IE pics of it fully inflated?

UnderWorldAquatics
07-31-2003, 06:15 PM
dont really need much, just invoice amount so they can charge you taxes, and scientific, latin, and common names are good to have on the invoice. something stating that your anemone is an invert and not a coral might help avoid confusion...

Delphinus
08-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Deepblue, what is a cities permit? Is it anything like a CITES permit? :razz:

Sean, any update?

spikehs
08-11-2003, 11:18 PM
haven't ordered yet, but I will, there shouldn't be a problem I think the biggest part will be making sure THEY know there is no cites permit.