PDA

View Full Version : Electrician Help

Eb0la11
08-19-2009, 06:19 PM
So I am wondering if I should get a dedicated circuit for my 165G reef tank. Right now I estimate the wattage this thing would run continuously at 1500-1800W.

If so, could I make do with a 15A circuit or will I need a 20A. I know getting a 20A is the safe way, but I might not be able to easily so just want to know if 15 would be ok in all likelihood.

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 06:37 PM
A 15 amp breaker is only rated for 80% continuous, so 1200W. You need a 20A circuit. I have a dedicated 20A for my 150g.

With the 20A circuit, you need to run 12g wire as well. I actually ran 10g to mine, but I happened to have some lying around form a previous job.

bulletsworld
08-19-2009, 06:39 PM
So I am wondering if I should get a dedicated circuit for my 165G reef tank. Right now I estimate the wattage this thing would run continuously at 1500-1800W.

If so, could I make do with a 15A circuit or will I need a 20A. I know getting a 20A is the safe way, but I might not be able to easily so just want to know if 15 would be ok in all likelihood.

I'm unsure myself; However I will ask my man this evening, as he's a certified Electrician.

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 06:43 PM
BTW, I am an Electrician as well.. I should acctually be working right now, but the pull of Canreef is to much HAHAHA

Honestly Boss, I was programming the Logic Controller

bulletsworld
08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
BTW, I am an Electrician as well.. I should acctually be working right now, but the pull of Canreef is to much HAHAHA

Honestly Boss, I was programming the Logic Controller

Hey I thought I was the only one that posted a reply to his thread! Oops.. sorry I must have been typing when you posted your reply.

All I know is I'm not a electrician or a plumber! :lol:

blacknife
08-19-2009, 09:03 PM
imho I would rather have 2 15a cuircits, and split the load up.

not an electrician either, just a lineman..

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 11:03 PM

Just a lineman LOL, Ya 2 15A circuts would be better. Run a 4 wire, Or 3 wire loomex(3 wires and a ground) then you use a 240V breaker, and you have 2 120V circuts, as well as possible 240V f you ever get European stuff.

PoonTang
08-19-2009, 11:39 PM

I am in the process right now of running dedicated circuits to my tank after my big crash last month. I am going to run 2 x 15a circuits.

Eb0la11
08-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Hmmmmm, ok sounds like I definitely gotta tackle this problem. I think I could potentially install a new 20 Amp circuit dedicated to the tank and have an extra outlet thats part of a 15 Amp circuit for the room as well for maybe some of the smaller equipment to be on.

What would you guys expect the charge to be to install a new dedicated 20 Amp circuit off my board and also switch out two outlets from regular ones to GFCIs. This would be maybe a 20 ft run of wire in an unfinished basement, so nothing major.

Or could I cut costs by running everything myself and then just having the electrician do the connections?

blacknife
08-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I bought a little book, "Alberta Electrical Code Simplified" at the hardware store when i first started fixing a few things in my last house. It has come in pretty handy to make sure I do things properly since i do not know the hundreds of pages in the electricians codebook.

I guess having an electrician check over your work before it was hooked up would be the same or better though.

muck
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
What would you guys expect the charge to be to install a new dedicated 20 Amp circuit off my board and also switch out two outlets from regular ones to GFCIs. This would be maybe a 20 ft run of wire in an unfinished basement, so nothing major.

Or could I cut costs by running everything myself and then just having the electrician do the connections?

I hear Kevin (KrazyKuch) works for donuts... :razz::lol:
Seriously though... Id ask him or "Lee's Man" for an estimate.