PDA

View Full Version : phosban reactors

Koresample
08-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I have a bit of a hair algae problem that i have been trying to fix. I have been following Myka's suggestions from her articles, purchased an RO/DI 4 stage purifier, changed my skimmer from the Sea Clone to Tunze 9002 (just got it yesterday), changed out about 70% of my water with my new RO/DI water, IO salt (as i just ran out of DD brand), my chaeto and macro in my refugium are growing like crazy, cut the algae during water changes and even tried boiling water on it. I measure no Phosphate (probably due to it all being used by the HA) but its obviously still there. I am thinking of putting a Two Little Fishies Phosban reactor on the tank to step up my battle. Does anyone use one, is it wise to keep one running all the time?

parkinsn
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I used the TLF reactor for GFO for a little while for both carbon and GFO. They work good you just have to make sure that you change out the media regulairly. Depeding on which brad of GFO you use some will leach the posphate back into your water. I have only ever used the Rowa Phos in my tank as it is not supposed to leach and it also reef safe.

for your phosphate test i have heard that heating your water when you do the test will give you better results. I have never done this but im sure someone could link something or elaborate.

whatcaneyedo
08-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I use two daisy chained together off of he same maxi-jet 400 pump. One for Carbon and another for GFO. So far I've been using 250ml of rowaphos which I change monthly. According to my elos phosphate kit I'm still at 0.01 and the hair algae just keeps growing the same as it has for the past year. When I finally run out of rowaphos I'm going to try some of the more expensive Bulk Reef Supply High Capacity GFO.

Koresample
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
i ran fluval phosphate remover in my canister filter, but turfed the filter in favour of a more natural filtration with all my rock etc. when i had it running, i used it like a phosban reactor and had no algae problems. They seemed to start when i went away on vacation and my son accidently unplugged my skimmer and i came home after 10 days to a huge bloom of all kinds of algae 9this was about 4 months ago)

Navarchus
08-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Why don’t you consider dosing vodka?

Myka
08-20-2009, 03:20 AM
How long ago did you start using the RODI? Did you change 70% all in one go or in several water changes? The new skimmer should help for sure! Have you been brush cutting the HA and turkey basting the rock? This usually makes a big difference. Have you tested your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium?

Koresample
08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
two weeks ago for the ro/di, did the change over 4 consecutive days (my rock/coral is shaped like a wall and goes almost to the water surface).Brush cutting and Turkey basted the rock, Ca is 450, dKH is 10 and i boosted the MG to 1600 per your suggestions in your article. I just ordered the TLF Phospane reactor with rowa phos and my skimmer just started making foam today. Gonna kick some HA a$$ now! (I hope):biggrin:

How long ago did you start using the RODI? Did you change 70% all in one go or in several water changes? The new skimmer should help for sure! Have you been brush cutting the HA and turkey basting the rock? This usually makes a big difference. Have you tested your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium?

Lance
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM
For those who may not have seen them yet, Bulk Reef Supply makes a very well-built media reactor. Single or dual.

danny zubot
08-21-2009, 12:51 AM
If you only got your new skimmer the other day you shouldn't expect to see results from it instantly. You should wait a couple of weeks before you decide to purchase a reactor. You may not need it.

Another note about reactors, expecially the Bulk Reef supply dual model. I have one and they do work IMO. In fact, it worked so well that the combination of high capacity GFO and NO3 media starved my macro algea to death. Seriously, my Maco went sexual due to lack of nutrients and died. Just a heads up since you have a refugium.

One question though; How old is your tank? Could you still be experiencing new tank cycling?

kien
08-21-2009, 01:10 AM
If you only got your new skimmer the other day you shouldn't expect to see results from it instantly. You should wait a couple of weeks before you decide to purchase a reactor. You may not need it.

Another note about reactors, expecially the Bulk Reef supply dual model. I have one and they do work IMO. In fact, it worked so well that the combination of high capacity GFO and NO3 media starved my macro algea to death. Seriously, my Maco went sexual due to lack of nutrients and died. Just a heads up since you have a refugium.

One question though; How old is your tank? Could you still be experiencing new tank cycling?

This is what I am noticing in my 'fuge.. My macro algae doesn't seem to want to grow like they seem to do in other peoples tanks. In my previous 90g my chaeto nearly died out. I had to mooch chaeto from other reefers for my new tank. I am now suspecting my Phosban reactor and my low feed amounts. Just not enough nutrients in my tank I guess.. On the upside my SPS seem to be quite happy with the situation.

Dez
08-21-2009, 07:20 AM
I feel really dumb but I can't keep up with all these acronyms. What is GFO?

kien
08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
I feel really dumb but I can't keep up with all these acronyms. What is GFO?

Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO).

Navarchus
08-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Why don’t you consider dosing vodka?

:question::question::question:

Koresample
08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
i ended up ordering the TLF reactor and i am going to run carbon and rowa phos. i did another water change and my water smell as well so i might kill two birds with one reactor..ha ha. I have heard of vodka dosing, what is it (other than the obvious) and what does it accomplish? Bad side effects?

ferret
08-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I've one TLF reactor spare once I switched to the BRS for larger capacity