PDA

View Full Version : fuzzy lion fish

zeddy
08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
i got a dwarf lionfish over the weekend and am hand feeding him and trying to get him to eat frozen instead of live fish. its going ok but slow. what i am wondering is how often should i feed him. so far i have been feeding once a day

Ephraim
08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
i feed my fuzzies every 2 days.

for food training, i got mine eating rosy red minnows live, then live minnow on a feeding stick, then dead minnow on stick, then krill on stick(same color). worked like a charm. If they dont take a step, go back to the prvious step

BlueWorldAquatic
08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Garlic Gaurd is a key to training too if he won't eat frozen.

We only feed ours every second day too.

Ken - BWA

sphelps
08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
2-3 days is fine. Try and base it on how active the fish is, if it's constantly swimming around feed it more often, if it spends most of its time perched or hiding feed it less. Also try and be somewhat consistent, decide on either larger means less often or smaller means more often.

Silver-sides always worked well for me, predator fish like this apparently recognize prey from the eyes so make sure the head is in tack. Then try some whole krill but again make sure the head and eyes are in tack to start. Eventually he'll eat anything. Garlic or other food enticing products have never worked for me but every fish is different.

reef bound
08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Mine's a little stubborn and won't eat "anything", he only likes silversides. They get soaked in selcon and a drop of garlic extreme. It took a couple weeks to get him to eat anything but live, but after that all went well. He eats about every second day, depending on the size of fish he eats.

zeddy
08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
thankyou everyone for your help