PDA

View Full Version : What product safely removes silicone from starfire glass?

bulletsworld
08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Is there any tips to safely remove OR is there a product that will eat away silcone off starfire glass?

Where would you buy the product in Calgary?

:question:

globaldesigns
08-18-2009, 09:31 PM
is it just excess you want to cut away? If so the easiest may be just a flat razor blade. That is what most LFS and custom tank builders use.

bulletsworld
08-18-2009, 09:44 PM
is it just excess you want to cut away? If so the easiest may be just a flat razor blade. That is what most LFS and custom tank builders use.

Unfortunately, the tank builder must of smeared 2 inch silicone marks on the glass, not close to seal ends either. I was told starfire glass scratches easy, so I didn't want to razor blade a new tank. :sad:

sphelps
08-18-2009, 09:45 PM
razor blades and vinegar. Remember to use new blades often as they tend to develop pits which can scratch the glass, blades are cheap, glass is not :biggrin:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/00001668.jpg

michika
08-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Acetone works and I have some if you want it. It turns the silicone pink!

wickedfrags
08-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Razor blade does the trick, 45* angle to the glass. While starphire glass is known to be softer due to less iron content, well if you are careful you will remain essentially scratch free. Gotta love that starphire! Congrats on the new tank, the starphire is worth every extra penny.

Binare
09-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I scrape with blades as much as I can, then use 'dap silicone remover'. Paint it on what's left, let it sit overnight then wipe it off, silicone just falls off after that. Can buy it at homedepot for about 5 bucks.