PDA

View Full Version : sump question & suggestions

bleevin
08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi,

I've been running a 120g used system for about a month and think that the sump could be improved on. This is my first system of this size with a sump and don't know what is possible or optimal for a sump design.

My question is... is there a someone local who can take a look at my setup make suggestions, and build a custom sump or modify my current sump... all for fee?

bleevin
08-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Hmm... I think the last sentence may have given the wrong impression... I meant to say 'all for a fee' and not imply 'all for free'. Which translated again means I'm willing to pay for help.

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Got a camera? Take some pics and upload them here. Theres lots of knowledge, just need to see what you got

Navarchus
08-20-2009, 03:12 AM
got a camera? Take some pics and upload them here. Theres lots of knowledge, just need to see what you got
+1

bleevin
08-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Here are a few pics of my sump area.

http://www.kkyee.com/carparts/IMG_1550.jpg
http://www.kkyee.com/carparts/IMG_1551.jpg
http://www.kkyee.com/carparts/IMG_1552.jpg
http://www.kkyee.com/carparts/IMG_1553.jpg
http://www.kkyee.com/carparts/IMG_1554.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Midknight
08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
The best site I have found for sump design is this one.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Has great basic and not so basic idea's and has a good description of the function of each design. :wink:

mark
08-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Looks totally functional. Any problems with microbubbles from the skimmer back to the display?

About my only negative comment is it's difficult to siphon out the detritus that settles out through all the LR (running LR and rubble so know from experience)

wickedfrags
08-20-2009, 03:44 PM
A pretty nice looking little sump, and acrylic to which is nice.

What specifically are you unhappy with?

Just based on the pictures, a couple things you could consider:

1. If you are having trouble with micro-bubbles being drawn into the display becuase of the skimmer, consider installing a baffle or two maybe 6-8" in front of your return pre-filter (just enough room to get your hand in there easily to remove it for cleaning). Make sure the baffle(s) has ample clearance so the water travels slowly and the water goes under the baffle.

2. Get yourself a little macro algae and light for the sump, promotes pod life in the sump and on a reverse-daylight schedule assists in stabilizing your pH.

Other than that, well you cold consider using some micro bags to keep the sump clean, but overall the set-up looks pretty good. Cheers.

Navarchus
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Off subject:
Your skimmer isn’t properly tuned.

bleevin
08-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Looks totally functional. Any problems with microbubbles from the skimmer back to the display?

About my only negative comment is it's difficult to siphon out the detritus that settles out through all the LR (running LR and rubble so know from experience)

Hmmm never considered that... but so far I don't think i have a problem with microbubbles...

A pretty nice looking little sump, and acrylic to which is nice.

What specifically are you unhappy with?

Just based on the pictures, a couple things you could consider:

1. If you are having trouble with micro-bubbles being drawn into the display becuase of the skimmer, consider installing a baffle or two maybe 6-8" in front of your return pre-filter (just enough room to get your hand in there easily to remove it for cleaning). Make sure the baffle(s) has ample clearance so the water travels slowly and the water goes under the baffle.

2. Get yourself a little macro algae and light for the sump, promotes pod life in the sump and on a reverse-daylight schedule assists in stabilizing your pH.

Other than that, well you cold consider using some micro bags to keep the sump clean, but overall the set-up looks pretty good. Cheers.

I always thought an optimal sump would be one with more baffles, refugium etc. My original message was placed in the Vancouver - BC section more to find someone who has worked with acrylic and was willing to help modify the sump for cash.

I have cheato in there but haven't setup a light for reverse schedule.

Off subject:
Your skimmer isn’t properly tuned.

I kinda thought that was the case. I can't get any skimmate from it. I've gone from opening full to closed full and not sure what I'm doing wrong. Not high enough water line in the sump?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Keep them coming pls

Doug
08-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I always thought an optimal sump would be one with more baffles, refugium etc. My original message was placed in the Vancouver - BC section more to find someone who has worked with acrylic and was willing to help modify the sump for cash.

I assumed you were looking for more sump info after posting pics, etc. Thats why I moved it here for you, so more would have a look.

Please feel free to ask for someone local, for acrylic help in the local forum if you so wish or I could move that part back.

Navarchus
08-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Try to get the bombardment area between the base of the collection cup to the lower half of the inner collection cup reaction tube.

bleevin
08-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Try to get the bombardment area between the base of the collection cup to the lower half of the inner collection cup reaction tube.

I'm sorry I don't quite understand. I can't adjust anything besides the amount of air going into the system.

bleevin
08-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I assumed you were looking for more sump info after posting pics, etc. Thats why I moved it here for you, so more would have a look.

Please feel free to ask for someone local, for acrylic help in the local forum if you so wish or I could move that part back.

No problem thanks for the move. I was considering putting it in this section.

Navarchus
08-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Sorry we are going of topic....

Any way did you buy it with the pump? or did you match the pump by yourself?

try to install a ball tap on the outlet

bleevin
08-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Sorry we are going of topic....

Any way did you buy it with the pump? or did you match the pump by yourself?

try to install a ball tap on the outlet

I got the pump with the skimmer. I was told that the skimmer is a kzs revolution skimmer. I've looked online for the instructions for it but couldn't find it.

Navarchus
08-22-2009, 03:42 AM
That is correct it’s a KZ revolution skimmer.
I assume its second hand?
What are the skimmer dimensions?
What pump is it (brand and gph)

The KZ skimmers are a Becket style skimmer. You should clean the injector frequently

bleevin
08-23-2009, 05:43 AM

The KZ skimmers are a Becket style skimmer. You should clean the injector frequently

Yah the skimmer is second hand. It came with the tank I purchased. Some of your posts clued me in on what to do. I added the valve and starting to try to dial in the skimmer. I'm finally getting some skimmate in the collection cup.

Thanks for the help.

Navarchus
08-23-2009, 06:42 AM

No problem mate, it's my pleasure, that’s what forums are for….:wink:

Any way it is very important you answer the questions above. I want to see that there is a match between the pump and the skimmer.

bleevin
08-24-2009, 04:40 PM
No problem mate, it's my pleasure, that’s what forums are for….:wink:

Any way it is very important you answer the questions above. I want to see that there is a match between the pump and the skimmer.

Um... this is the pump.

AquaBee UP 2000-1:
pump output: 2000 l/h
max. pump head: 3.0 m
Dimensions: (length x width x height) 9.5 cm x 8.0 cm x 9.5 cm

Skimmer size:
34 l x 23 b x 58 h cm (w/pump attached)

Navarchus
08-24-2009, 08:47 PM
OK its the s model...all is ok but....
Optimum water level for this skimmer: approx. 25 cm hight.