PDA

View Full Version : Need Idea's for CNC mill

banditpowdercoat
08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Well, As I am loosing my job in Oct, I need to spend more time in my home shop. Powdercoating is a sideline, not enough work to sustain us. I have a little CNC mill here too, 14"X 8"Y6"Z travel. not large, but it is pretty accutate. Now, Im wondering what things I could make? I have had the mill for about 7 years now, and allways find it tough to come up with the ideas.

So, What does Canreefers want/need? The mill cut's Alum pretty well, but Acrylic and plastic it cuts awesome. I also have a router head attachment for it.

Throw some ideas at me.

lastlight
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
filter trays for sumps
custom slip fit spray nozzles/splitters

lastlight
08-18-2009, 03:51 PM
mounting brackets for common light fixtures

lastlight
08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
long handled scraper rod that can hold common credit cards

lastlight
08-18-2009, 03:53 PM
mounts for both rimless and eurobraced tanks to hold probes, heaters, powerheads etc

Vancouver Reefer
08-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Make yourself some phosban and carbon reactors, Frag rack etc

VR

sphelps
08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't bother too much with aquarium related products, most hobbyists are used to paying for Chinese mass production. It's like bubble king vs euro reef or vertex. Sure some people will go for the BK because the supreme quality but most stick with cheaper alternatives. Even if you go with something completely new you'll have a hard time selling it unless it's an absolute necessity. CNC is all about quantity if you want to turn a profit, making the odd thing here and there for Joe and Bill won't pay the bills.

I would suggest making small brochures that demonstrate the services you can provide, then dropping them off at small local manufacturing companies. I work at a smaller manufacturing company and we supply work to someone just like you, he has a small shop in his garage and does plastic machining. He makes all our plastic handles and electronic housings for many of our products. We like using him over larger machine shops mainly because he's cheaper but also because he provides shorter delivery times, has better quality, and stands behind his work.

lastlight
08-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I was mostly detailing what he was building for me =)

I'm not in the know...but what you're saying sounds about right.

Snaz
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Custom heatsinks comes to mind for the DIY LED market. Check out the lighting forum on nano-reef.com to see what I mean.

sphelps
08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Custom heatsinks comes to mind for the DIY LED market. Check out the lighting forum on nano-reef.com to see what I mean.
Heat-sinks are cast, the cost to machine one from a solid plate of aluminum would not only be extremely wasteful but also cost a fortune in comparison. People usually do it themselves to save money not to spend more.

michika
08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Photo boxes, filtersock holders, custom grates for overflows, acclimation boxes, feeding stations, really unique nano and pico tanks, etc.

lastlight
08-18-2009, 04:57 PM
yes i'd def be interested in a custom overflow machined from black acrylic. Can your machine read any vector formats such as EPS or AI?

sphelps
08-18-2009, 05:29 PM
yes i'd def be interested in a custom overflow machined from black acrylic. Can your machine read any vector formats such as EPS or AI?
2 dimensional cuts in thinner material is more efficient using laser cutting. I got mine done for my tank for $24 including the material.

banditpowdercoat
08-18-2009, 05:45 PM
WOW, theres some things hehe, I guess I gotta find a supplier for acrylic :D

Yes, Laser is more efficient, but I dont have one :(.

My machine reads whatever I code into it LOL. It runs in G-code. I make my dwgs in Autocad .dxf then convert it. Not familiar with Vector n stuff. All self taught on this, Thk god for Google HAHAHA

golf nut
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, As I am loosing my job in Oct, I need to spend more time in my home shop. Powdercoating is a sideline, not enough work to sustain us. I have a little CNC mill here too, 14"X 8"Y6"Z travel. not large, but it is pretty accutate. Now, Im wondering what things I could make? I have had the mill for about 7 years now, and allways find it tough to come up with the ideas.

So, What does Canreefers want/need? The mill cut's Alum pretty well, but Acrylic and plastic it cuts awesome. I also have a router head attachment for it.

Throw some ideas at me.

Tell me about it, I have 20 of them and looking for another.

whatcaneyedo
08-18-2009, 06:07 PM
I might be interested in the cut pieces for an overflow box as well at some point. I can do the cementing myself.

For myself I've made (all while laid off):
2 Kalkwasser reactors
Calcium reactor effluent chamber
Protein Skimmer waste collector with shut off device

Mrfish55
08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Look into the world of radio controll, there are obsessive scale addicts that will pay top dollar for scale components for rc cars and trucks, all perfect for a machine the size of what you have, I know alum rims for the trucks go for anywhere between $80-$300 for a set, I spend quite a bit of time on one particular forum, pm me if you want more info.

mark
08-19-2009, 12:32 AM
flanges and lids for DIY reactors.

And here's a neat (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1520111&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)base idea

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Look into the world of radio controll, there are obsessive scale addicts that will pay top dollar for scale components for rc cars and trucks, all perfect for a machine the size of what you have, I know alum rims for the trucks go for anywhere between $80-$300 for a set, I spend quite a bit of time on one particular forum, pm me if you want more info.

Funny you say that. THAT"S why I bought my mill in the first place. I was making Carbon Fiber parts. I have a few RC/s here too.(3 nitro's and 1 electric) Way to much $$$ invested in them
But, like everytihng else, It is hard to compete with the Chinese import parts. Not much market in the "toy" department for really high end stuff.

AndyL
08-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Reasonably priced kits to build another CNC :)

There's most of the bits n pieces in the garage for mine (just need the motors & drives) - 24x24 cutting area sliding gantry (3" channel construction), 4hp plunge router, skate bearing on angle slides; 1" acme screws... Yes I believe in overbuilding :D Unfortunately thats why it sits without electrics... Cuz I haven't found anything I can afford to drive the darn thing...

My .02 - Rebuild your CNC out of something water resistant... Add a water feed and a good quality diamond bit... NanoReefers seem to be willing to pay ridiculous $ for custom built tanks. Having those nice CNC cuts (use the right bit and your edges come out almost polished) and doing professional silicone work - takes a while to build up your rep - but in time could lead to an eventual semi-steady income...

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 02:30 AM
CNC nano tanks huh? Hmm. My mill is waterproof. I use a constant spray on the cutting tool. I just cant see the cost effectiveness of CNC cutting glass, just for a polished edge? Now, glass overflows.. I've allways wanted a full length CNC table, but never had the room

AndyL
08-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Look at the rave reviews elite gets for his tank/sumps - those are all cut with CNC... It's the clean edges, smooth transitions (cuts you can't get with a scriber), accurate positions on the bulkhead sites - then add in the professional assembly, that's why he gets sales he does... There are lots of nice cuts you can do with a CNC you can't do scribing/breaking...

You've probably tried to add eggcrate to your own overflow top - take a hunk of glass, and draw yourself a nice slotted screen for the top of that glass - then ask yourself if you'd rather that or black eggcrate siliconed onto the top :)

pterfloth
08-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Volute covers to convert a Laguna/askoll pump into a skimmer pump are going for $149 US a piece with a pinwheel. Check Marine Solutions. Apparently the Laguna is similar to the Red Dragon. I'm in the market for one of the converted Askoll pumps myself to replace the Sicce on my skimmer.

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Hmm, have to look into these pumps, Thats somehting I could get into making. Where can a guy get one?

pterfloth
08-19-2009, 04:25 AM
The Laguna 1500 is a common pond pump. There is a whole thread on RC about how the Red Dragon drive is built by Laguna/Askoll. I was reading it last night. I'll look for it when I get home. Considering the price of a Red Dragon, a
good replacement is attractive. Can you make titanium shafts?

mark
08-19-2009, 05:13 AM
The Laguna 1500 is a common pond pump. There is a whole thread on RC about how the Red Dragon drive is built by Laguna/Askoll. I was reading it last night. I'll look for it when I get home. Considering the price of a Red Dragon, a
good replacement is attractive. Can you make titanium shafts?

RC thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1094749&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

pterfloth
08-19-2009, 05:45 AM
RC thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1094749&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

That's the one. Thanks Mark!

lastlight
08-19-2009, 05:58 AM
The whole titanium shaft thing is a CROCK in some respects. I was really disappointed when my BK arrived and I saw the ceramic shaft inside the pump. You read in so many places on so many sites under the specs about this titanium shaft. I've heard in one case that it's special order and a lot more money. Someone else told me they had issues with it and it's just not used anymore.

Fact is my RD2000 is ceramic shaft.

After a quick peek around a few sites I see all mention of that's been removed and rightfully so.

pterfloth
08-19-2009, 06:02 AM
The whole titanium shaft thing is a CROCK in some respects. I was really disappointed when my BK arrived and I saw the ceramic shaft inside the pump. You read in so many places on so many sites under the specs about this titanium shaft. I've heard in one case that it's special order and a lot more money. Someone else told me they had issues with it and it's just not used anymore.

Wow. That would really disappoint me too if I was expecting a titanium shaft. You hear it hyped so much.

sphelps
08-19-2009, 02:12 PM

After a quick peek around a few sites I see all mention of that's been removed and rightfully so.
The new versions have titanium shafts, but they are not available in Canada yet. Should be soon though, sometime before the new year. This is likely where the confusion came from, overseas they have titanium shafts but they still have ceramic in NA.

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Ti shafts may be a possibility, for sure

mark
08-19-2009, 03:42 PM
In the RC pump thread they mention cutting down titanium Tig welding rods for shafts.

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
OK, Really intriuged on these Laguna pumps. Where in Canada can I get them? Mail Order? Would Total Pet be able to order them in? Read somewhere there Hagen sub brand?

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
In the RC pump thread they mention cutting down titanium Tig welding rods for shafts.
TIG electrodes are Tungsten, not Titanium. I just happen to work in a Tungsten Mine. BUT, Tungsten IS a perfect metal for shafts too, It is Inert, and has the highest melting point of all metals. Won't corrode in SW. Just make sure you use PURE Tungsten Electrodes. Most electrodes have other stuff in them, like thorium(lightly radioactive) :surprise: Zirconium, Lanthanum, etc

Jamieh
08-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Laguna is a Hagen product and should be available at Total Pet.

mark
08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
TIG electrodes are Tungsten, not Titanium. I just happen to work in a Tungsten Mine. BUT, Tungsten IS a perfect metal for shafts too, It is Inert, and has the highest melting point of all metals. Won't corrode in SW. Just make sure you use PURE Tungsten Electrodes. Most electrodes have other stuff in them, like thorium(lightly radioactive) :surprise: Zirconium, Lanthanum, etc

Titanium TIG rod (http://www.crownalloys.com/page86.pdf)

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Titanium TIG rod (http://www.crownalloys.com/page86.pdf)

LMAO, Ya, my bad, FILLER Rod, not the electrodes for the torch head. DUHH My bad

pterfloth
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.landscapesupply.ca/products/product.php?pid=4177

Link to Laguna pumps supplier and pump manual

banditpowdercoat
08-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Thx Pterfloth. Ive been doing some research here instead of working LOL, don't tell my boss. I just might buy a Lathe too, then I'll REALLY be in buisness hehe. Just a small one, 9"x20" or so.
Bandit Skimmers.....Hmmmmm:lol:

pterfloth
08-19-2009, 09:08 PM
That's fine. I'm supposed to be working too.:biggrin:

banditpowdercoat
08-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Ohh, Im buying a lathe too :D Maybe next week????

pterfloth
08-21-2009, 09:02 PM
So put me first in line for a Bandit Skimmer!:biggrin:

sphelps
08-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Ohh, Im buying a lathe too :D Maybe next week????
Nice, CNC??

banditpowdercoat
08-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice, CNC??

Not at first, But I built my CNC for my mill, so I'll build the lathe into a CNC :D

banditpowdercoat
08-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Pin wheel's and Venturi's/New Volutes for MAG pumps, would that be of interest? The Lagunas are a great possibility, but I see a few allready make conversion kits. I don't want to be a copy cat. MAG pumps I run myself, cheap, but the impellers never last neither. Might not be a market there?

I have to admit, Im new to the whole pumps sucking air, needle wheels, Mesh wheels etc. And I dont have the funds to go out and buy a bunch and test. Reading RC makes me mad and gives me a headache. there's allways fighting and nonsence on there. Seems like on a 50 page thread, there's only like 7-8 pages of USEFULL info, but takes 3 days to read and process it all

pterfloth
08-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Yes. The RC threads can be a drag. Too many people trying to impress each other. When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

Haven't used Mag pumps myself. Just interested in a quiet, reliable, reasonably priced skimmer pump. At $339, the Askoll looks good, but that's close to the cost of a skimmer.

banditpowdercoat
08-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Which pump was $339 and where? Ya that IS alot for a pump, but is that the same(apparently) as the one RD sells for $1k? I dont even have a skimmer that would need a pump that big yet LOL

pterfloth
08-22-2009, 01:38 AM
The modified Laguna/Askoll pump with volute cover and pinwheel is $350 (just went up!) from Salt Water Connections, the maker of the Xtreme skimmers also branded as Octo Extreme and MSX skimmers. SWC is based in Winnipeg. I have a SWC Xtreme 200, it is an awesome skimmer, but I would like to replace the Sicce pump. Trouble is, not much draws as much air as the Sicce and for $129, it is quite a bargain and I don't want to lose performance.

lastlight
08-22-2009, 02:06 AM
Filter out the bickering between hahn (banned now I think) and bean and 90% of the thread is GONE. It's still a neat read but yeah some of the DIY threads become battles of the ego.

banditpowdercoat
08-22-2009, 02:14 AM
$350 for pump and volute, not bad.

I like their cone skimmers. Hmm.

Man, I kinda hate being up here in in camp. I have WAY to much time to think of ideas, but not enough time to follow them through.

One thing I think I am going to try to make, is thread on inlet venturi's. Ones with Pipe thread, so you can thread them on to pretty much ANY pump. MAG, Ehiem, etc.

mark
08-22-2009, 02:37 AM
which mine?

banditpowdercoat
08-22-2009, 03:01 AM
which mine?

Cantung, on the NWT/Yukon border

scherzo
08-22-2009, 03:02 AM
I am looking for a nice set of house numbers today (we just painted the house)..

You could do some custom aluminum numbers. I found a few sites that will do them (they are in the US)... could be about $100 for a standard size (5-6") of numbers.. not sure what the materials cost..

You can start by doing mine.. ;) (j/k)

banditpowdercoat
08-22-2009, 03:06 AM
I am looking for a nice set of house numbers today (we just painted the house)..

You could do some custom aluminum numbers. I found a few sites that will do them (they are in the US)... could be about $100 for a standard size (5-6") of numbers.. not sure what the materials cost..

You can start by doing mine.. ;) (j/k)

I acctually thought of that a few years ago. I made up some Family Name Plaques for friends. I first Powdercoated the aluminun, then milled away around the letters, then put a clearcoat powder all over it. I'll see if I can find some pic's.

I'd for sure make you a custom number plate if you want.

PuffLuv
08-22-2009, 04:29 AM
I was looking for a nice battery tray for my second Yellow Top Optima, and wow, they're kinda pricey for a nice aluminum one....
http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=optima+battery+hold+down

Looks like they could be fun to make though!:biggrin:

banditpowdercoat
08-22-2009, 08:35 PM
$60-$150 for a Billet Alum Hold down is reallly GOOD pricing.

Bryan
08-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Badidpowdercoat:

What did you do in 100 Mile before getting laid off?, lived their until the early 80's and moved out. Still a nice place to visit.

banditpowdercoat
08-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Bryan, Ive lived there pretty much all my life. Im an Electrician by trade. I used to do Sawmill construction all over BC/Alta, but then was into mainteneance. Was working at West Fraser Lumber in 100 Mile, till we had a difference of opinion. That was last year. Been at the Mine here in NWT ever since. 3 weeks on 3 weeks off, Pretty good gig

whiteice669
08-24-2009, 06:10 AM
what about cutting short wrenches for tightning bulk heads in tight to reach spots, could put 3/8 square drive holes in them/ different angles ??

banditpowdercoat
08-24-2009, 11:58 AM
They allready make those, they are called Crow's Feet. Wouldn't be cost effective to cut up a wrench. And I have no way of forging to make my own.
http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/at/courses/aeml/airframeimages/crows%20feet.jpg

banditpowdercoat
09-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, Lathe has arrived :D Now I need a good source of PVC blocks, or round stock....

phillybean
10-30-2009, 04:32 AM
I'd be interested in DIY Reflector Kits.