PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Filter Sponge

Eb0la11
08-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Anyone know of a place in town to get cheap filter sponge? Some of it will be used under submersible pumps as a sound dampener but some will be used as mechanical filtration.

kien
08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Anyone know of a place in town to get cheap filter sponge? Some of it will be used under submersible pumps as a sound dampener but some will be used as mechanical filtration.

Most fish stores in town (at least all the ones I have visited recently) will carry various types of filter floss which you could probably use. You can get sheets of this stuff that will last you a while. If it isn't thick enough just double or triple or roll it up. Put a 50 cent dish washing pad/sponge under your pump :-)

Oh, and if those fail you can also get filter floss like material from fabric stores like Fabricland.

Eb0la11
08-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks Kien, didnt wanna spend the 15 bucks big als was asking and that was the only LFS that Id seen it at and wasnt sure if the dishwasher type ones were safe. Cheers!

ALBERTA REEF
08-18-2009, 03:06 AM
I have found humidifer filters work good too. They are about an 1" thick, 9"wide and about 24" long when cut. Range from $4-$10 at Rona or HD. Some have a fibre mesh around them with staples, just remove staples and mesh and disgaurd. Then you can cut to size.

kien
08-18-2009, 05:19 AM
wasnt sure if the dishwasher type ones were safe. Cheers!

That is a good question. I just assumed that they would be since we use them to wash dishes which we use to eat on.. hehe. But I suppose that doesn't really mean anything since we used to drink from clear bottles that were slowly poisoning us.. :noidea:

Snaz
08-18-2009, 05:40 AM
I bought a bag of "polyester quilting batt" at Walmart the other day. It is designed for grannies and grandpas who make quilts but it is 100% polyester and is formed into sheets. They cut and fold to any size very easily and the honking huge bag I bought cost $5.00.
http://www.basten.us/bastens/prod-imgs/fabric-hobbs-fat-batting-polyester-queen.jpg