PDA

View Full Version : Starfish Disintegrating

martinmcnally
08-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I purchased a starfish a few weeks ago now and he seems to have started disintegrating from the tips of his legs. Attached is a picture although kind of hard to see it. There was a small yellow growth on him when I got it, it actually looked like a little algae stuck to him. Anyone know what it might be or anyway to rectify?

Many Thanks
Martin

whatcaneyedo
08-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Its no doubt suffering from malnutrition and starving to death. It looks like Fromia monilis which like many other starfish commonly for sale feed on sponges or other small sessile animals. In most cases only very large mature reef aquariums can provide enough of what these animals need to survive. Theres a bit of reading on them here http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rs/index.php

Sorry to be such a downer. I tried a linka starfish once and it died in much the same way that you are describing in my 2 year old 120gal tank.

Canuckgod420
08-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I had the same problem the first time I got a starfish.....turned out I didnt acclamate it long enough, they are very sensitive to salinity and ph changes.
The next starfish I got I took my time acclimating (2 hours) and it has survived 3 years in my 72g.

Myka
08-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Its no doubt suffering from malnutrition and starving to death. It looks like Fromia monilis which like many other starfish commonly for sale feed on sponges or other small sessile animals. In most cases only very large mature reef aquariums can provide enough of what these animals need to survive. Theres a bit of reading on them here http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rs/index.php

Agreed. Most starfish like linckia, fromia, "sandsifting", etc have very very poor long-term survival rates. It seems that our tanks either don't provide them with the proper food or just not enough. Black brittle stars are the only ones I keep in my tank...they are good scavengers and are hardy long-term.

martinmcnally
08-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have another sandsifting star that has been doing great for a year in my tank. Although he lost a leg to a nasty crab I had, its grown back completely. This new guy has now 1/2 in size in two days. You would think something was eating it.

Should I take it out of the tank, put it out of its mystery?

Zoaelite
08-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have another sandsifting star that has been doing great for a year in my tank. Although he lost a leg to a nasty crab I had, its grown back completely. This new guy has now 1/2 in size in two days. You would think something was eating it.

Should I take it out of the tank, put it out of its mystery?

If anyone in your area has a larger tank and is willing to take it that would be your best bet. From the sounds of it though it looks like its on its way out.
Levi