PDA

View Full Version : filtered "top-up" water?

fishdude
07-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Good day

I'm curious to know what peoples feelings are on filtering Calgary water
before use in their aquariums.

I'm presently using a reverse osmosis for my 120 gal reef and tapwater(de-chlorinated) for my 260 gal fish only. All inhabitants seem to be happy in both tanks.

A few years ago I asked Calgary waterworks to send me a breakdown of
our drinking water . They will email this free of charge and test the water for about 40-50 items twice daily. There are even measurable amounts of gasoline!!??

How have you folks been pre-treating your water?

cheers

FD

Bob I
07-30-2003, 04:45 PM
I use only wter straight from the tap both for the original setup and for topup.
The topup water sits in a pail before I use it. Everything here is just fine. :eek:

Canadian Man
07-30-2003, 06:02 PM
I and many other's top up with ro or ro/di water. There are a few people that top up with tap water.

If you have an ro unit than Use it.

Fishster
07-30-2003, 06:24 PM
I use tap water for all of my tanks with no algea or other problems. But I do not think that using RO would hurt you just have to decide if it is worth the money and water wastage. Although if I were not in Calgary I would deffinatly use it.

Canadian Man
07-30-2003, 07:01 PM
I use tap water for all of my tanks with no algea or other problems. But I do not think that using RO would hurt you just have to decide if it is worth the money and water wastage. Although if I were not in Calgary I would deffinatly use it.

Just a question fishter. do you have mainly softies in your tank or do you have sps?

Perodogo
07-30-2003, 07:07 PM
:confused: Hey Fishdude!
Although I have RO hooked up in our main water system, I only use it for our own drinking purposes, although I'm starting to think that I should start using it.

I seem to be having a brown algae (diatom) problem which I could not get rid of. My Chevron tang has done an admirable job cleaning up most of it but I would like it to go away all together. Does anyone else have the same problem?? Is tap water the culprit??

Regards,
Rico

Bob I
07-31-2003, 12:36 AM
Brown algae appears to be a problem only in newer tanks. Even though I only use Calgary tap water, I have no algae problem at all.. :biggrin:

Canadian Man
07-31-2003, 01:02 AM
Brown algae appears to be a problem only in newer tanks. Even though I only use Calgary tap water, I have no algae problem at all.. :biggrin:

Don't you usually have red cyanno on your sand in your pics Bob? :confused:

Bob I
07-31-2003, 02:19 AM

Don't you usually have red cyanno on your sand in your pics Bob? :confused:

I guess you will have to look at the newer pictures on my site. Some older pictures probably had some. I also had some pictures of when I was using glass beads. They grew a lot of a strange brown algae that disappeared when I buried the beads. :redface:

EmilyB
07-31-2003, 03:55 AM
The most recent report I could get from waterworks was the 2002 annual summary, but I swear something was different this spring.

It's all settled down now, and the filters on my RO/DI are lasting a lot longer as well.

I've also been using some chlorine/chloramine neutralizer (tap water users probably always use this anyway).

Fishster
07-31-2003, 01:11 PM
Canadian Man,
I have both SPS and softies in my tanks. What do most of the RO users do with the waste water? I was thinking it would be good for the yard in the summer but I don't know in the winter.

Canadian Man
08-01-2003, 04:40 AM
My Ro/Di unit is in the basement so the waste water (unfortunatley) goes down the drain as it's a pain in the but to haul it upstairs to use on the plant's and yard stuff.