PDA

View Full Version : coral banded shrimp

mytank90
08-15-2009, 06:26 AM
i have aways like these guys but wondering if there safe with my cleaner/peperment shrimp

lastlight
08-15-2009, 08:11 AM
I was watching one for a few minutes at the LFS the other day. Was housed with a bunch of small pipefish. I saw his grab ne of the fish momentarily before losing it's grip. I love them too but don't personally think they are safe.

banditpowdercoat
08-15-2009, 12:28 PM
CBS are known to be territorial, and not like other shrimps

chris121277
08-15-2009, 02:56 PM
I've had a large one in with my cleaner for about 9 months and he has never bother him. But I do suspect that he is the cause of a Lawnmower blenny and a yellow watchmen jumping out of my tank.

But just wanted to tag along and see what other input there is about them

triggereef
08-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Every single coral banded shrimp i have ever had(5+)
has attacked and killed all my shrimp even though he
was fed regularly.. so my opinion is no they are not
shrimp, small fish friendly. They are harmless to corals though,,

marie
08-15-2009, 03:11 PM
coral banded shrimp aren't safe with feather dusters either. Mine did a good job of retraining my clownfish to not eat cleaner shrimp though :lol:

fishytime
08-15-2009, 03:16 PM
One look at their claws is a good indication of what they are designed to do...these are not reef safe shrimp and we wish stores would stop selling them as such.

chris121277
08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
I wish the LFS hadn't told me that they were reef safe

mytank90
08-15-2009, 04:42 PM
thanks all for the info .will skip buying one

milesj250
08-15-2009, 05:06 PM
never had a problem with mine, have had her for almost 2 years and not a problem. Have her with 2 cleaner shrimps in a 220 g reef. i took a leg off (oops) and about 2 to 3 weeks later a new arm grew back. love mine.

Oceanic
08-15-2009, 05:19 PM
One look at their claws is a good indication of what they are designed to do...these are not reef safe shrimp and we wish stores would stop selling them as such.

Coral branded shrimps are reef safe and interesting to own. It is true they may be territorial with other shrimp but they are scavengers and won't actively hunt anything important. The worst thing they will do is steal food from your Corals.

I have had two for five years.

Ignore the non "reef safe" issue.

reeferious
08-15-2009, 06:17 PM
i look on my cbs pair as food producing machines as the female give birth with clockwork regularity. same goes for my cleaner shrimp pair. i rarely see conflict between them although the cleaners usually pay acknowledgement to cbs when food issues arise. from what i could see no tankmates have been attacked by any of these shrimps.

Oceanic
08-15-2009, 06:50 PM
i look on my cbs pair as food producing machines as the female give birth with clockwork regularity. same goes for my cleaner shrimp pair. i rarely see conflict between them although the cleaners usually pay acknowledgement to cbs when food issues arise. from what i could see no tankmates have been attacked by any of these shrimps.

And they won't as they are reef safe!

burgerchow
08-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Have had many cbs for years. They are "reef safe" in the fact that they won't eat your corals. Like anything else in the ocean, they are opportunistic eaters and will eat anything dead or alive that they can catch.
I think they are the best ornamental creatures "bang for buck" that you can put into a reef tank. I've got a mated pair of them in my 120 reef currently.
Now, if you really want to see fish disappear, try a " reef lobster"