PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving

aquatic_rice
08-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Anyone have any experiences with skydiving places in/around calgary?
I've never done it before so just thought I'd ask anyones opinion on places? Things to look for in choosing a place etc.?

Thanks

Pescador
08-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Years ago I jumped with the Calgary Parachute Club at the Drumheller Airport, the views of the canyon were pretty cool.
They had their ground school in Calgary.

parkinsn
08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I have never been but I would like too. I have heard some horror stories about the Sky Dive Ranch, they have had a few deaths. I had a buddy go there he said it was kind of sketchey but he is still alive so it cant be that bad. Other than that im not really much help. I think if you go tandem the first time you will be ok.

blueyota
08-14-2009, 07:27 PM
i have gone twice now in bisiker out by airdrie and it seems safe and its a crazy rush from 9,500 feet 40 secs of freefall you dont even feel the guy on your back (except in the plane ) im 6'7" so a little less room then most... I just jumped two weeks ago its such a blast...any way i would recommend it to any one who loves a good rush....oh its around 298$ for a tandem jump from 9500'

sitandwatch
08-14-2009, 07:30 PM
The Sky Dive Ranch does not exist anymore it was sold may years ago, I used to jump there.

You could check out dropzone.com and do a search for dive sites in the Calgary area some have reviews that you can look at.

aquatic_rice
08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.

Bin doin some research and the skydive ranch seemed to be pretty sketchy. Seems the former owner had some questionable practices:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/03/23/skydive-050323.html
http://www.dropzone.com/news/Edmontonskydiverdiesinfi.shtml

But then again no risk, no reward.

I was thinking tandem since you get to free fall alot longer. The one place I saw that does solo has instructor assisted deployment with only a few seconds free fall so it doesn't seem as enjoyable (atleast for the first time).

sitandwatch
08-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Two choices of first jumps.

1) Tandem, you get to free fall and have a person attached to your back that wants to get down alive, costs more.

2) Static line, you only go to about 3500 feet and your parachute opens right away no real freefall, if you mess up you die or just get hurt, Cost is less.

I have never done a tandem but I have jumped out of a plane 120 times and plan to do it again one day.

Note skydiving is a hobby that costs more then a saltwater tank so be careful its very very addicting

aquatic_rice
08-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Lol. Ill probably go with the tandem as I get to free fall longer. If I could free fall solo as long as I could tandem then I would go solo, but I guess I would work my way up to solo.

Man, I have to stop getting into these damn expensive and addicting hobbies!

sitandwatch
08-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Look up accelerated free fall training this is what you really want to do.