PDA

View Full Version : Hair algae on cheato

blacknife
08-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I have been fighting the hair algae in my 33 sump-less for a while and as part of that I modified an AC 300 and put some cheato in there. This last weekend I pulled out an old 15 gallon and made a basic little refugeium instead and pulled the AC. The cheato is now all covered in hair algae I assume this is not normal for cheato.

will the cheato in time outgrow the hair algae? or be slowly strangled out by it?

Anyone in Leduc have any extra macro trimmings I could throw in there?

blacknife
08-15-2009, 02:07 AM
my own tedious idea for this... pulling each strand of cheato out and delicately pulling the HA off .. there are still little stubs of it on there but hopefully it helps the cheato take hold and grow free.

whatcaneyedo
08-15-2009, 03:33 AM
I've had this happen recently. I observed it for a long time waiting for the chaeto to outgrow the hair algae. After several weeks I gave up and just pulled most of my chaeto ball apart, threw out what had hair algae on it and dumped the rest back into my fuge. Its been fine since then.

If you dont have very much maybe consider throwing all of it out and getting a new fist full of chaeto off of someone in the area.

blacknife
08-15-2009, 08:52 PM
there is just a small fistful in their, if i can find some free or cheap i will swap it out but until then it can stay and be weeded out just like the rest of the HA and the weeds in my garden heh.

banditpowdercoat
08-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Whats it mean when your Cheato dies off slowly? Mines been shrinking back the past 6 mo nths. I do have Red Turf algae in my sump as well,