PDA

View Full Version : need to upgrade!!!!!

burrows14
08-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi everyone!

So i recently bought a house and after a couple years of renting and not being able to own a tank:sad: i have decided to rekindle my passion of owning a tank! I bought myself a 29g biocube and started my first SW set up....the only problem is now i wanna step it up a notch and get into a larger tank!!

I have a pretty good idea of what i wanna get (80G-110G with sump and MH lighting) and have seen some good deals on craigslist but i am unsure what to look for when buying a used tank. I was hoping if you guys could give me some advice on what to look for and maybe a couple tips and making the big step:biggrin:

i am fully aware of the work i have to do to keep a large tank healthy and happy as i have house sat for friends for months at a time and they own a 135G reef tank.

cheers everyone!

P.S If your selling let me know!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi there. I've helped several local reefers find/set up aquariums over the years so if you want, come on over for a visit & we can discuss what exactly are you looking for and see what we can find.

First of all, is it a 4', 5' or 6' system you would like to get?

What's your budget?

Are you hoping to get a plug & play or willing to spend the time to put together a system from components from different sources?

Also assuming you're looking at a full-blown reef system eventually, so for lighting, a combo (MH & T5HO or PC actinics) or pendants?

What types of corals?

Will heat in the summer be a big issue?

So many different aspects to consider.

Anthony

burrows14
08-14-2009, 01:38 AM
thanks for the reply

for tank size i would prefer a 4 or 5 but i would go for a 6if it was a nice system. i think i would wanna find a plug and play system and if i found one with live rock that would be awesome! for lighting i would prefer a MH combo.
the heat was a problem during the heat wave so i had an army of frozen water bottles ready to attack. i havent had my heater plugged in for 3 months now. i plan on buying A/C for next summer and if i dont i will invest in a chiller. as for my budget i wanna be in the 1500 dollar range.

ive decided to wait until november to buy the tank because i have to get some drywall work done in october in my living room and the spot ive reserved for the tank might be repaired too(new town house so the building has settled and left a nice line around our whole main floor and ceiling)

So what do you think? am I dreaming? or is what i want realistic?

cheers!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Realistic budget for what you want. If you want, we can still get together & talk about it or you can just post again when its closer to the time. I think it should be very possible to find what you want in that price range.

Anthony

burrows14
08-14-2009, 01:55 AM
where abouts are you? im pretty busy til the end of aug. but possibly in sept we could meet and chat