PDA

View Full Version : Setting up coral only tank

chilumba
08-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm wanting to set up a coral only tank with live sand(aka frag tank).
Can you tell me what supplies I'm missing from the list? Thanks:)

Supplies:
Tank
Live Sand
T5 lighting
Salt
Filter
Heater
Powerheads
Supplements

untamed
08-12-2009, 09:37 PM
During transition to my current tank, my only fish perished in my previous tank. That left me with a coral-only tank for a few months. (mix of SPS, LPS...no softies)

It didn't do well. Even though I continued the same water change schedule and Ca supplementation, the corals declined. The main difference was that I was no longer feeding the tank.

So...as you do this...I hope this gives you something to think about

Pazil
08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Depends on what corals you are wanting to keep... but for sure.... Power heads, some kind of filtration, live rock, heater, supplements.

dreef
08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Some corals use fish poo for food,that's all my sps get to eat,and there doing great

Drock169
08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
you should try to put at least 1 fish in there, depending on the size of the tank, foxfaces or a yellow tang are good.

michika
08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd actually go for a tang from the bristletooth family. They crap a lot, and they definitely pull their weight in terms of cleaning. You could do anything from a kole to a chevron, or even a leutenant tang. Most of the rabbitfish, as recommended, are great too.

If you are set on going fish only there is a product, its a Mark Weiss item, called SPS grow or something, it comes in an oval dark blue container with green writing and a white twist off lid. The product is actually dried out fish crap.

**edit**

the product is called SPS Coral Grow.