PDA

View Full Version : FS: 54 Gallon Reef system - DT Van - $750

IJC
08-11-2009, 05:48 AM
**SOLD**

I have to move for the second time in 2 months and I cannot continue to move my tank. In the interest of full disclosure, the last move was hard on my system - lost one fish in transit, and two within a week. These were fish I had for several years. In addition, my magnifica has not sat still since, after being stationary for approximatley 2 years. The clown fish continue to seem happy though, unlike the rest of my life :). I do not know what the problem was - possibly something released from the sandbed (its shallow though), or die-off from the re-oriented rocks - Not proud, but I did not do any testing.

As such, this is essentially a fire-sale price and I do not want to move on this price. I paid $1100 for the setup (if memory serves), and have added a Euro-Reef skimmer, and a 110 gpd RO filter to the package among a number of other things and livestock. I bought the tank from another Canreefer in ~2003 - it is a fantastic setup put together by someone far more able than me. I would recommend this system to someone looking to get started in reefing, or at this price, to anyone looking to add to their collection.

Hardware:
Note, the tank is in good working order, but there are things that could use maintenance or updating, I will comment in brackets on those things.

-54G Hagen tank corner-drilled with durso overflow
-custom made solid pine stand and canopy (dark cherry - almost black).
-250W metal halide Iwasaki with eye ballast
-2x 96W O3 actinics with workhorse seven ballast
-Euro-reef skimmer (sorry, I can't recall what model it is - i have the manual but no receipt. It was the series they released to compete with the lower-priced models. It was about $300 at J&L. I see they don't carry them any longer - whatever it is, it's a fantastic unit, and perfect for this tank).
-phosphate reactor
-4" variable speed Icecap fan (this should be re-wired).
-26G custom acrylic sump
-Laguna 7 return pump
-8 GFI sockets (4 units).
-2 heaters
-1x 802 powerheads, 1 SEIO
-110 GPD RO filter (membrane was new late 2008)
-3 mechanical timers (for the metal halide, the actinics, and the fan).
-various test kits, plumbing parts, heaters, pumps, timers, cleaning supplies, etc (unfortunately this stuff is now quite thin, as I threw a bunch of it out when I moved 6 weeks ago. Honestly, it was mostly crap anyway).

Livestock (forgive my lack of proper nomeclature):
-40-50 pounds of live rock. Bought from ocean aquatics about 3 years ago - it's Jakarta, and it's nice stuff. I think I paid about $300 or $350.
-shallow, sugar-consistancy sand bed.
-A red/purple magnifica - has done well for more than 2 years, but as mentioned is now on the move. Still looks healthy though. $90 from J&L. It's about a foot accross when all puffed out.
-two false percs (clownfish) that live in it. They were laying eggs every 12 days or so, but not since the move.
-A beautiful Tridacna maxima clam about 3-4 inches long, purply with blue highlights. Raised this guy from about 2 inches.
-White bubble coral (4 inches accross)
-Several pieces of frogspawn, in various degrees of not very good shape.
-hammer coral in good shape (again about 4 inches).
-Several medium sized pieces of sps (acro?). Was blue, now purplish. Will likely regain colour with some TLC, as most of it is in good shape. This had grown to cover about half of the tank, but i had to break it up during the move and ended up parting it out.
-large leather coral/toadstool.

In the interest of full disclosure:
-there is a small crack in the overflow box that you will only see when you move the tank. It has been sealed and is below the waterline anyway (plus, this tank has a durso overflow, so its not really relevant - the water level in the overflow box is just a few inches different from the rest of the tank). It does not leak, as you will see when the display portion of the tank is emptied.
-certain of the hoseclamps could use replacing, but this is superficial.

I think that's about it. I must admit, my tank is a shadow of its former self. But all the ingredients are there, it just needs TLC that I'm no longer giving it. If I were to put together a new tank, I would try to replicate this system -its great.

I will try to add some photos - just can't find the cord for my camera right now.

I'm moving for September 1st and would like to get this moved out asap (this Sunday would be preferred if I can find a buyer that quickly).

IJC
08-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Not sure how to get these into a smaller format so I can add more