PDA

View Full Version : Equipment upgrade

steve fedyk
08-10-2009, 04:20 AM
I have 120G reef tank, which I have had running for over 2 years. I was using zeovit for the last 10 mounths, and liked the results, but not the time right now to keep up with the dosing. My KH,Ca,Mg and K where always low and had to dose dayly to keep them up.
I started to think of ways to keep the levels up where they're so post to be. I thought about dosssing pumps and what about all the trace elemants, that I read about in all the books.
My lighting was good for the time but like everyone there is room for imprevment. I'm using two geissiman 250w hqi and two VHO's. The MH reflectors don't cover a 24" front to back as well as the new reflectors.
The solution for the water was more water changes, but I didn't what to do it by hand, it had to be automated. I read it one book about dayly water change, 1% a day. Which works out to about 1.2G to 1.5G a day. I can sweet the water if need be by adding the elemets that are needed. It has to be simple and realable.

steve fedyk
08-10-2009, 04:42 AM
The big can for the water changes with hole in the bottom for the pump feed.
The elbow for pump feed.
The base of the can to sit on.
The can with base and pump. The pump is a PS3, it will be more then enough to push the water up about 10'.
I have to upgrade the skimmer from a bullet 2 to an insump skimmer. I'm using a vetex insump 180, which will be quiter and use less energy.

steve fedyk
08-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Got all the plumping done and tested the last two days. Filling the can with RO water and adding salt to night and will dial in the 1 to 1.5 gallon aday water change.
I installed the new skimmer vertex 180 in sump and is very pleased with the proformentance.
First picture is of the plumping comming through the floor.
second is a picture of the can and pump finshed.
thrid is of the reture drain line.
last picture is of the new skimmer and the gate valve to control the flow of water over 1 to 2 min's.

steve fedyk
08-17-2009, 02:42 AM
pictures

steve fedyk
08-17-2009, 02:52 AM
pictures

whatcaneyedo
08-17-2009, 04:14 AM
So you have a pump on a timer(?) adding new saltwater each day I get that. What do you have removing old saltwater from your system?

steve fedyk
08-19-2009, 03:05 AM
The sump I have has 2 bulheads one for a return pump and one I plumbed in as a drain. I got a threaded elbow and some threaded pipe and ajusted the hight to be the same as my water level. I moved my auto top up,to match the same level. New water comes in old water gose out.

steve fedyk
08-25-2009, 04:36 AM
The dayly water change has been up and running for four days now and every thing is working great.
When I mixed up the salt in the can and tested the water. I used reef best right now and swiching to DD salt.
Ca 450 ppm
mg 1300ppm
KH 7

I raised The KH to 9.

Will have to wait and see if thats enough to keep the tank belanced.

steve fedyk
08-29-2009, 12:22 AM
The daily water change has been up and running for six days so far.
I tested the tank water to day and my KH has been dropped to 7KH. I like to have my KH around 8-9, so I increaced the Kh in the can to 14KH. I hope this will slow the KH drop.
Ca was still good 420ppm, but I use a Ca reactor. In the can the Ca use tested at 500 ppm, which is a high but seams to be doing just find.
My clams seem to be openning a little more and the rest of the corals look the same.
I changed the drain around because it wass getting air lock, no vent to releave the back pressure. I swithed the flex tube for 1 1/4 pvc pipe.Lowered the auto top up 1mm to stop freash water comming on and off as much.