PDA

View Full Version : Don't make changes during a heat wave!

fkshiu
08-10-2009, 01:01 AM
My SPS appear to have taken a big hit from the recent heat wave a few weeks ago, but it hasn't really shown up until now. I think it is a combination of a temperature spike into the mid to upper 80s during the wave when I wasn't around for a couple of days and my decision to do some rock/flow re-arranging and play with my photoperiod at about the same time.

Everything has been slowly either browning out or bleaching/STNing including my massive blue mille colony that's almost a foot and half across. Even the lousy green digitata is looking kinda sorry. :(

I was in the process of switching away from SPS anyway, but this appears to have accelerated that. Everything else in the tank - LPS, softies, zoas, clams - came through no problem.

Some of the stuff will hopefully come back over time, but it looks like I'll be having an SPS fire sale at the frag swap. (sigh)

christyf5
08-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Aww that sucks Franklin. Its funny actually what affects SPS corals and what doesn't. I had a pink pocillipora STN on me over the course of about 5 days. I managed to save (albeit I have no idea what I did) a very tiny portion of it and it came back. Then after moving I had huge problems with high ammonia and lost a ton of SPS. Oddly enough, the pocillipora pulled through with no problems, and my LPS were happy throughout the whole ordeal and I've never seen them so "poofy" ever!

SPS are weird. Of course that doesn't stop me from repeatedly attempting to keep them :razz:

Navarchus
08-10-2009, 03:15 AM
I found out that the two major water parameters that are very important but somewhat neglected by enthusiasts are temperature and salinity.

Lance
08-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Sorry to hear this Franklin. Hopefuly they will make a come back.
So many tank troubles this summer it seems. I've had some bleaching of a few SPS myself and I can't figure out why. Heat hasn't really been an issue as i have A/C. :noidea:

Jason McK
08-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Oh No Franklin Hope everything recovers

J

ElGuappo
08-10-2009, 04:41 AM
ya i lost a crhistmas tree milli frag, unknown Acro purple w/ green holes Colony (just some tips made it thru, i am hoping it will make it thru. i have placed a small chunk of frag disc sittig on the remaining live tips with hopes it encrusts and i can start anew. ), and another acro frag i cant remember the name of. and yes my orange digi shows no sign of anything.

we only had like 10 hot days in calgary but i was ill prepared as i am sure others were. plus the tanks i lost coral in are upstairs, and its a freakin sauna up there. ( not to self start saving for a AC unit NOW)

Coleus
08-10-2009, 05:26 AM
I thought the heat killed my gsp but it is growing back now.
________
Vapir Oxygen (http://oxygenvaporizer.com)

Snaz
08-10-2009, 06:19 AM
I thought the heat killed my gsp but it is growing back now.

The heat of a million suns could not kill GSP.