PDA

View Full Version : Custom building a sump

Eyford01
08-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi everybody! I'm looking to add a sump to my 55g and I have nowhere to hide it so I was thinking of having a large standing column if water right next to the tank, I was thinking 12" x 12" by 48" tall to make about 30g, I realize this is a very unusual size and shape but I have it planned out and I think it would look pretty cool, however my problem is what material to use glass or acrylic and what thickness I need, all info i've found says depth is the deciding factor for thickness but if it's 12" x 12" will I be able to safely get away with thinner material than the charts on the net, cost is important at the moment unfortunately and I'm considering just using a plastic tote as a temporary stand in, any suggestions are appreciated thanks!

mark
08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
For volume only, neat idea the 12x12" but one of the purposes of a sump is to hide away the equipment. Wouldn't matter for a heater, but skimmers usually need a constant water height so would need to sit near the top, then with without baffles the height would be continuously changing with evap unless a ATO.

Eyford01
08-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Actually an ATO is the next project in line after the sump, and then after that a cold water tank with a mini fridge chiller to be filled with critters from the coast near prince Rupert and then.... Wait... which one am I on now?