PDA

View Full Version : Dont get the racoon Butterfly...

Millepora_Maniac
08-08-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm sitting here watching a racoon butterfly (that I bought for Majano/Aptaisia control) chomp down on all of my SPS polyps. :neutral:

Leah
08-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Ouch, that sucks!!!

christyf5
08-08-2009, 01:05 AM
oh crap, I just ordered one. Then again, I don't have much in the way of SPS polyps these days.

i have crabs
08-08-2009, 01:30 AM
mine cleared out the aptasia quickly and now bites the zoos/button polyps. he was picking at a milli while it was in the tank for a few days but he mostly leaves the sps alone, i also cant catch the jerk to move him into another aptasia farm i have

Skimmerking
08-08-2009, 02:54 AM
ouch man sorry to hear, well you should have done some research, it will alwqys pay off 50%

JDigital
08-08-2009, 05:04 PM
That's the chance you take with Butterflies labeled as " Reef Compatible: No".....

The Raccoon Butterflyfish is a peaceful fish that may reside in a 70 gallon or larger fish-only aquarium with other butterflyfish. It should not be kept in a reef tank since it will eat invertebrates and is deemed unsafe with corals.

Sorry to hear he likes your SPS though...

EDIT: You may want to try feeding him more often, it may keep him from going after your coral when his tummy rumbles...;)

carnut
08-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Did the same thing. Ate all the aptaia and now he bugs my frogspawn. Doesn,t touch anything else. Goes crazy for mysis, frozen and freezed dried. I move aptasia rocks in and out for him to clean since i couldn't catch him either. How long have you had him, took mine a couple months to start behaving.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-09-2009, 01:05 AM
It's back at J&L today. Saw the little bugger looking fat and sassy. Poor Milli had to tear apart his reef to catch him out.

Anthony

Millepora_Maniac
08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
HI guys, thanks for all the sympathy, That little fish caused more damage than any majano anemone.
It's over now. I ripped out every rock in my tank to get him out. Broke several corals ( a couple of full colonies), and took all the fallen soldiers to J&L for credit, that was yesterday, Now I'm looking through my sand and I'm finding frag after frag. After all this is over, I'll post up some frags for sale, but I don't think I'll have them ready in time for the frag sale. Happy Reefing, and remember if it might be reef safe, It really isn't worth it!

Cheers!-MM:mrgreen:

Millepora_Maniac
08-09-2009, 04:33 PM
ouch man sorry to hear, well you should have done some research, it will alwqys pay off 50%

Hi bud, Trust me:wink: I've done so much research on this topic it would make your head spin! It was out of desperation that i did this, Those little Majanos are almost impossible to kill!

Treebeard
08-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Do these guys like LPS too? Are BTAs and clams at risk of becoming lunch?

carnut
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
every fish is different, I've read some raccoons are pests right away and some turn into pests after a a while. while other cause no problems. Clam and anenome are on the regular menu. Mine does not bother either, but does bug all my lps