PDA

View Full Version : rock with aptasia, can i kill it in one shot?

megs_clark
08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
I was curiouse. I bought some extra rock with aptasia on it. It was such a nice shape with lots of caves and holes. I currently have it in a spare tank with a powerhead blowing on it. My actual running tank doesnt have any aptasia in it right now and im trying to keep it that way. So my question is is their anything i can do to the rock before putting it in my tank to kill the aptasia in one shot. Theirs nothing on the rock that im worried about saving so i was wondering about dipping it in boiling water. Or raising the salt level in the spare tank for a bit?
When i seen it in the persons tank it had quite a bit larger aptasia growing. They had told me it was easy to kill so i bought it foolishly and after reading on here it sounds like i should not have. I had it in a dark bucket with just the power heads for just over a week. Now that its in a aquarium with light i cant see any, i thought i had seen a small one but then i looked again and it was gone. Are they hiding?? I dont want to cook it for months, but dont mind waiting it out a couple weeks just thoughts id see if anyone else had ever done anything sucsessfully in one shot without having to go through with joes juice.

ElGuappo
08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
i always dry the rock and then cook it. IMO the only way to be sure that its all dead.

scherzo
08-07-2009, 11:07 PM
You could cook cook the rock for longer. Or borrow a peppermint shrimp and put it in in your QT with the rock.

Navarchus
08-08-2009, 03:59 AM
You can dissolve aquarium salt until it almost not soluble!!!
Then dip the rock in it for 15-30 minutes.

Coleus
08-10-2009, 04:51 AM
i used concentrate lemon juice and seem to kill it unless it is hiding somewhere else in the dark
________
SPANISH GIRL LIVE (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/latin-girls/)

ElGuappo
08-10-2009, 04:56 AM
i used concentrate lemon juice and seem to kill it unless it is hiding somewhere else in the dark

i have heard this before. does it really work that good? are just reffering to store bought lemon juice. i cant remember brands but it comes in a green bottle or the same as the suff in the plastice lemon?

Coleus
08-10-2009, 04:59 AM
I bought the Realemon (lemon concentrate) from Sobie
________
Georgian Recipes (http://www.cooking-chef.com/georgian/)

ElGuappo
08-10-2009, 05:01 AM
ty

Myka
08-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I use a blow torch on single rocks that are bothering me. I just blow torched one rock of mine that started growing like 5 different kinds of random algae. After blow torching I put it in a bucket of saltwater with a powerhead and heater for a couple weeks to make sure any die off doesn't cause a mini cycle in the tank. Then I test the water the rock is in for ammonia, nitrite (optional), nitrate, and phosphate. If all is 0 I put the rock back in the tank. :)

megs_clark
08-10-2009, 03:36 PM
HAHA, gotta say, thats a funny picture, blow torching the little buggers away! I have tons of them though. After i posted the add, the next day i started to see tons in every nook and crany, its crazy. Some are aptasia and some look a little different. Like darker brown and the look stiffer, and thiner but look the same otherwise. Do you think i could turn the oven on broil and let it heat up then just put the rock in for a a few mins? Kinda like a blow torch but then the heat would be getting everywhere? I just picked up a 72 gallon that im going to need to cycle once i figure out were to drill it for a herbie overflow so i was thinking of either doing the broiling in the oven, or a quick dip in boiling water and then letting it cycle for a bit longer in the tank since its going to need to cycle for 6 weeks or so anyways, and add some of my crushed coral from my current tank to seed it to get a little bacteria going on a couple weeks? Do you think that would work?

megs_clark
08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Well I decided to just do it, i put the rock in my sink and pored boiling water over it until it was covered. I was expecting the smell to be terrible but it wasnt so bad, SOOOO I now have some cool dead rock. Its just under 15 pound so not to much. Im going to lay it out zap strap it how i like it, and then clean out the spare tank and re set it up with as much flow as i can get for a few weeks. Then i figure if i put some of my crushed coral and buy some more live rock which i was going to do anyways or use some of my good current live rock i should be able to reseed it, hopefully fairly fast?