PDA

View Full Version : recent heatwave

reeferious
08-07-2009, 02:51 AM
figured i was well prepared to play down any heat wave, temperature spike, and any such damaging events. running t5s, multi fans for evaporative cooling and extra water volume to cool things down. all these preventative measures in place and i watched my tank temp creeping beyond 85 degree. thought about rushing out and buying chiller that would be used for 2 maybe 3 weeks at most$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. my other half who's was bemusedly watching my antics spoke up and gently remind me why can't i convert an old used mini freezer sitting forever in garage into something useful. the idea was a lightbulb being screwed onto my forehead. what i did was went to homedepot, bought a curled length of rubber tubing, drilled 2 holes through freezer top, attached a mag pump to one end and ran tank water through freezer back into sump through the holes. since then i've kept tank temp at around 79 to 80 and everything is happy as a clam can be. i find that if you're ultra finicky you can fine tune your temp setting by length of tubing you insert into your freezer or just adjust temp setting on your freezer unit. another half grand saved and bought to useful life again something that was meant to be thrown out years ago.

Snaz
08-07-2009, 04:03 AM
I was thinking of doing this exact thing. How big is your tank?