PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on some nice coral

Troy F
03-15-2002, 07:51 PM
I was just out at J&L's and Big Al's today and thought I'd let you guys that actually have tanks that there are a couple of real beauties out there.

J&L's has a few Plerogyra simplex that are in great shape. You don't see these guys very often. They are a branching variety of the regular bubble coral P. sinuosa. Looks like they'd be easy to frag.

Big Al's has two beautiful Nemenzophyllia turbida ie. fox coral, that are a beautiful green morph. They look fantastic. Just wish I could finish my tank and take advantage myself.

Seaquest
03-15-2002, 10:39 PM
Hi

Sounds like very nice corals, I know Al
AL Soul ( Big AL) very well here in Toronto, and I can still remember when he opened his first store on Kennedy rd in Toronto now he has 9 stores across Canada.

Cheers

christyf5
03-15-2002, 10:51 PM
Hey Troy how much were the fox corals going for? I've been looking for a green one for awhile.

Christy:)

Troy F
03-16-2002, 12:03 AM
Christy, I didn't look at the price but I could check on it tomorrow for you.

Sea Hunter, I had no idea there is an actual Al.

Seaquest
03-16-2002, 12:58 AM
Hi

Yes! ther is a real person named Big AL. The store in BC is a franchise. If you want to learn more about Big ALS Aquarium Services, go to.http://www.aquariumservices.com/

Samw
03-18-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by christyf5:
Hey Troy how much were the fox corals going for? I've been looking for a green one for awhile.

Christy:)<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just saw the 2 fox corals today at Big Al's. No one has bought them yet. They were $50/each. Is that a good price?

They also had some large and incredible Elegance Corals going for about $109 I think. Great looking coral but too expensive for me.

[ 17 March 2002, 20:52: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Sushiman
03-18-2002, 02:57 AM
Go to J&L..."Big Al's" sale prices tend to almost match J&L's reg prices. Can't say I've been very impressed with their livestock or drygoods for that matter. Very hit & miss & $$$$. J&L have two great Fox corals in right now if you hurry.
-Sushi.

Samw
03-18-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Sushiman:
J&L have two great Fox corals in right now if you hurry.
-Sushi.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was just at J&L's this afternoon (I visit about twice a month or more). But I didn't see them. Were they the green type too?

I agree Big Al's is pricey. But they do have good corals once in a while. I was able to get a good deal on a rock of Bali green mushrooms with about 30 polyps on it and a large Montipora Foliosa.

[ 17 March 2002, 23:34: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Troy F
03-18-2002, 04:23 AM
Sam, I think $50 is alright myself. Big Al's is more expensive and their livestock quality does seem to have gone downhill but anyway you slice it green fox corals are purty. ;)

Samw
03-19-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Troy F:
Sam, I think $50 is alright myself. Big Al's is more expensive and their livestock quality does seem to have gone downhill but anyway you slice it green fox corals are purty. ;) <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, I caved in and got one tonight. smile.gif

[ 19 March 2002, 00:15: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Samw
04-07-2002, 09:42 PM
The green fox corals go for about $45-$65 at J&L so I think I got myself an OK deal at Big Al's afterall.

The Green doesn't show up much under my PC's.

Mar 24

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-03.Album/Fox.jpg

April 7

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-04.Album/Fox.jpg

[ 07 April 2002, 17:45: Message edited by: Sam W ]

terryp01
04-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Sam,

Move the fox lower in the tank, you should see more of the green then. They will get really big under the lights but in my experience they would rather be lower in the tank away for intense light and in low water movement.