PDA

View Full Version : Dead Xenia removal

Koresample
08-06-2009, 03:04 PM
One of my Xenias went from looking healthy to dropping its sweepers to dying within a 24 hr period and now i need to remove it from the tank. Am i best to just suction what i can of it out with a water change? I noticed one of the sweepers fell on my toad stool during the night and turned it brown where it landed, is it toxic for the other corals? All of my other corals look healthy so am not sure why this happened. It recently split into three and the other two (located lower in the tank) look healthy.

randallino
08-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I lost my Xenia also last week, I figured it was from the high temps ~32 C and it only took about 24 hrs. So what I did was pull the rock that the Xenia was on and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, did a couple of water changes and changed the carbon. With the Xenia dying you could experience a bacteria bloom so oxygen levels may drop. My tank is back to normal (no Xenia) after a week.

Koresample
08-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the tip, i suctioned it out when i did a water change this morning and i am getting another water change ready again for tomorrow. I will change the carbon as well. I have (had) him right near the top of the water column when i re-aquascaped, whereas he was always about mid column before, do yo uthink that could have caused the demise? Currently i only have 4 X 24w T5HO lights, so i am not sure if that would have been too intense for him.

randallino
08-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Mine was form the recent heat wave we had on the coast, and another factor may be I just replaced RowaPhos in the reactor?