PDA

View Full Version : I've been out of reef tanks for a while

LostMind
08-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Background:

I used to run a bunch of reef tanks. Cracked a big ol 320g, kinda lost my interest after that (it was never full of water, but what a colossal waste of money and effort). My Dad always loved my tanks tho...

So my Dad and I were supposed to set up a tank together for him in his condo for quite a while; years actually. I got him a bunch of the equipment but we somehow never got the tank actually running - we were both busy, I had a new baby, etc. Then, in jan of this year he passed away unexpectedly after heart surgery (we were told he was an excellent candidate with little chance of complication... death was never mentioned as a possibility really).

Now... I'm his executor and I have to go to his place often and the tank we almost had setup is sitting right there in his dining room, haunting me. Literally, it almost brings me to tears, the guilt I feel over not spending more time with him.

Long story but I think I need to setup a reef tank as a memorial to my Dad.

A couple of problems though...

* the only space my wife will like the tank is an odd shape 40" long x 23" deep. Pretty sure there aren't many reef ready tanks that fit this nicely. Meaning, I need something custom most likely.
* Due to the wife, it has to look pretty... meaning a beautiful stand mostly. If it were me, a 2x4 stand would be enough :)
* I'm not a great DIY guy, due mostly to lack of time... although I'm not the most gifted in that area I can get by.
* I've been out of the "scene" for a few years, not really sure what is the latest & greatest or what has actually been proven to work recently, etc. Nor do I know if there are any new custom aquarium/stand builders and so on. Of course I know JL and Ocean Aquatics are probably still the best shops for livestock - is there anything new recently?

I like sps & fish. Clams too, but not sure if I am going with sand for substrate or not. I want something relatively simple, good skimmer, good lights, good flow, low maintenance. I really do not want to bring myself to the poor house for this tank. My 10 month old daughter is sending me there soon enough, I'm sure.

Basically, I'm hoping that the Canreef community can point me in the direction of new reefkeeping tips & tricks, good deals and so on. I have patience, so this tank will likely come together slowly over the next few months.

Thanks everyone.

christyf5
08-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Hey, welcome back man!!! You bet we're here to help :biggrin:

J&L and Ocean Aquatics are still mainstays. Theres Aquatic Addictions out in Abbotsford as well. They post some pretty incredible coral photos. Any of those guys could certainly hook you up with a custom tank.

LostMind
08-06-2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks Christy!

They all have deals setup for custom tanks now? I vaguely remember Wendell used to use a guy on the island but I think that "guy" closed shop. And I always thought JL and the rest just sold standard tanks...

I think there were a few guys locally who do good tank stands as a side job kinda thing?

chujai
08-06-2009, 05:25 AM
i had my old tank custom built by miracles in toronto.... 39" x 24 x 20

not sure about out here but im sure there are some makers. have you seen some of the zero edge systems? rimless and very sexy tanks ... id try to make something like that!

canreef is a pretty quite forum i find. but id defiantly check out reef central and look at whats new there in the equipment section. always new stuff being posted.

good luck! its so fun you've been missing out!

LostMind
08-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Yah canreef is quiet, but the people here know all the locals!

I ordered my last custom tank from Aquarium Obsessed in Ontario. Great tank but shipping sure put a big dent in my budget. Wouldn't it be nice to get a custom tank made locally and just pick it up? :)

Myka
08-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I know a couple years back J&L had custom tanks made to your specifications, they just didn't advertise it. I seem to remember them being fairly pricey though.

Or...go with a standard 36" tank? That will save a lot in the budget, and you can spend it on getting a better skimmer or better lights. 36x18x16" is a 40 gallon breeder, 36x18x18" is a 50 gallon, or 36x18x24" is a 65 gallon. A few nicely shaped options out there depending whether you prefer shallow and wide or tall and narrow, or a nice one in between. This would also cut you down to a single halide, and if you put 2-4 T5 to supplement you will have a nice light distribution.

Are you going sump or not? Lots of new skimmers available in the last 3 years.

Aquattro
08-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Most of the mainland shops still use the place that was Seastar, not sure what they're called now, but it's still the same place, different owners. Wendell can surely set you up with whatever you need. Good luck with the new build!

Leah
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
So sorry for your loss, but the tank set up in his memory is soo neat. I am sure he will be smiling down. Oh and it will be something your new little one can share, his/her little part of Grandpa.

LostMind
08-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys.

Leah, that was exactly my thoughts. Not only is it a nice memorial to my dad, but the little one will have something fun (all those colours!) and educational plus I get back into a hobby I love...

About standard tank sizes, I never really thought of that. LOL. I'll have to shoot off a few emails today to see if I can find some standard size, reef ready tanks...

I will definitely have a sump, I like clean tanks with as little equipment in them as possible. Those new vortec powerheads look VERY cool.

Lance
08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Welcome back to the hobby.

Ron99
08-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Sorry for your loss. It's not the preferred way to get back into a hobby.

I second the suggestion of a standard tank. It will save you alot in the long run and there are several 36" long sizes that might work for you. Lot's of good deals on used tanks to right now too.

LostMind
08-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Anyone know if you can get these with the overflow on the other side?

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/megaflow-overflow-aquarium-predilled-aquariums-with-megaflow-overflow.htm

The 65 gallon is a decent fit into my space but the overflow is on the wrong side for me...

Myka
08-07-2009, 01:38 AM
About standard tank sizes, I never really thought of that. LOL. I'll have to shoot off a few emails today to see if I can find some standard size, reef ready tanks...

I'm not sure I've ever seen any 36" reef ready tanks. However, I see that Bulk Reef Supply (www.bulkreefsupply.com) is now selling nice black acrylic overflows. Cut to length, and silicone it in. Then drill the back or bottom of the tank. BRS also sells cheap good-for-5ish-holes glass drill bits too. :D

Speaking of overflows, do a Google search on "Herbie reef overflow". It's a "new" style of overflow that is honestly silent. You will need a gate valve for the Herbie (also found for an unbeatable price at BRS), don't cheap out and try a ball valve.

PS I'm an idiot, you're looking for a reef ready, of course you have a sump. *smacks forehead*

LostMind
08-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Thanks Myka, I found a RC thread about them. Will have to look into it! The durso style worked but needed weekly attention to get them back to near silence.

BRS seems like a good place too, never heard of them!

Myka
08-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I know lots of people using Herbie overflows. I put my first one on my 90, but I haven't got the sump going yet. I'm excited to try it out.

BRS is awesome. Many of their prices work out to J&L prices once you add shipping and exchange onto it, but they carry plumbing pieces that are hard to find elsewhere. Like unions, gate valves (J&L can't touch the price on these), different types of bulkheads, black egg crate, now the cool acrylic overflows.

LostMind
08-07-2009, 04:13 PM
now I'm reading about dosing 2 part instead of calcium reactors and kalk.... people feeding vodka to their tanks...

christyf5
08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I'd definitely recommend the two (three) part dosing. I have mine set up with an aquatronica dosing pump (hooked up to an aquatronica controller, its not a stand alone doser). I ran a calcium reactor for years and in the last while was unable to maintain magnesium levels even though I was running zeomag (a zeo supplement of magnesium granules that dissolve in your calcium reactor over time with your calcium). While the initial price is a bit steep (then again so is a reactor if you don't have one already) I feel that dosing does a much better job of maintaining my mg, ca and alk.

LOL, theres lots to catch up on eh? :wink:

Ron99
08-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I tried a durso on my single bulkhead but could not get it quiet. I made a pseudo Herbie as below and it is virtually silent. if you end up with a tank that has a single bulkhead this is how I would do it. Two or more bulkeads is optimal and is how I would do it if I could start over.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/70_70/254_23/Herbie.jpg

LostMind
08-07-2009, 10:30 PM
LOL, theres lots to catch up on eh? :wink:

yes, yes indeed.

I'm going to take my time and do my research so I don't buy something and find later I've wasted my money :)

Myka
08-08-2009, 02:27 AM
I just noticed your post on the Aqueon (AGA) tanks. It looks like they aren't making their regular overflows anymore, just the megaflows. That's too bad because the megaflows take up too much space. Personally, I like corner overflows...besides there's no reason for 600 gph through a 65 gallon tank's sump! Not unless you have a megasump too!! LOL

I vote for dosing pump instead of calcium reactor too. Also, since you're interested in SPS, take a peek at the ZEOvit system. A bit pricey to start up, but not bad once you get going. It won't be overly pricey on a smaller tank like a 65 either.

LostMind
08-08-2009, 07:16 AM
zeovit seemed like a bit of a fad when I was kinda getting out of the hobby.

That stuff is still around so I guess it has something too it.

Definitely a lot to look into!

Myka
08-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh it's not a fad at all! It's a great system for those who want it. The great thing is that there are lots of additives you can use without using the whole system. Common ones people use are Sponge Power, Coral Vitalizer, Coral Snow, and Xtra. I was skeptical too, very skeptical, but I tried out the "Nano Package" when it went on sale at J&L, and now I'm a believer for sure. Very noticable results.