PDA

View Full Version : Blue tang or regal tang

arnald
08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
My blue tang is covered with ick but no other fish have it. I don't really know what to do. Do I catch him if I can and treat him or do i treat the tank with reef safe ick medicane. He is not rubbing, but he is eating just like others. Is it because of the temp change attack we just had a couple of days ago or what. IF I have to catch him does anyone have any tips on how to catch him in a 150gallon reef tank.

naesco
08-06-2009, 01:24 AM
You have two choices.
1. You prepare a QT, catch the tang and treat her for ich in the QT.
The best time to catch her is in the evening. Put some food in an area where there is space to net her and scoop her up.
2. Start a regimen using garlic extract (garlic extreme which you can buy from the LFS or garlic extract which you can buy from a health food store. I dont know if the other garlic products are watered down).
Use nori. Tear it into pieces and place them in a saucer and soak the pieces with garlic extreme. Feed as much as you can and only feed garlic soaked food. The idea is to get as much garlic extract in the fish as possible. In a couple of days the ich will lessen on the fish but keep on feeding for a couple of weeks as the ich will return.
Stress caused by incompatible fish, small tanks, and changes in water conditions often lead to an ich outbreak. High temperatures could be the cause of the flair up.

Do not put any medication in your main tank as most don't work or will damage the other critters in you tank.
Good Luck

arnald
08-06-2009, 02:17 AM
what is nori?

loveless
08-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Sheets of dried sea weed. You can get these at the LFS or at your local supermarket, its used as a wrap for sushi.

naesco
08-06-2009, 03:49 AM
what is nori?

Nori is dried seaweed. I t comes in one foot square sheets. You can buy it from an asian grocery or at the asian dept of safeway etc.
Make sure you choose an unflavoured one.

marine
08-06-2009, 05:40 PM
feed the blue tang with garlic, 2 times a day, the ick will be gone by tomorrow. I try garlic many time on my fish and it works

arnald
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
i feed all my fish with garlic xtreme everyday but I just have bad luck with blue tangs. this is my third one and the other 2 times ick wiped out my whole tank. Maybe a blue tang is just not meant to be in my tank. I guess I will catch him and after I cure him I will have to sell this guy.

naesco
08-07-2009, 02:59 AM
What blue tang are you having a problem with?
Powder blue, atlantic blue or regal tang

How are you feeding the garlic extreme?

arnald
08-07-2009, 04:02 AM
hippo tang i just soak 3 or 4 drops of garlic xtreme with their frozen foods with some water.

naesco
08-07-2009, 06:17 AM
hippo tang i just soak 3 or 4 drops of garlic xtreme with their frozen foods with some water.

When you use frozen food it is already saturated with water so the garlic extreme simple adheres to the outside of the food which go into the tank water when you throw it in.
By using dry food the garlic extract soaks into the nori (seaweed) and the fish get it in their body.
When you have an ich infection it is important to feed the soaked nori, and feed very often. You should just feed the soaked food and nothing else because the idea is the saturate the fish with garlic. The two or three drops is ineffective.

BTW, the regal, palette or hippo tang is the only carnivore so in your case as well as nori feed garlic soaked dried shrimp. It is also good to add a few drops of selcon.
Good Luck