PDA

View Full Version : LF: small complete salwater setup

jonnytens
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I have been keeping several freshwater tanks for about 3 1/2 years now and think it is time I dip my toes into some saltwater. I am looking for a complete setup , preferably small, don't want to start big yet. I have seen those biocubes and such they are kind of what i am looking for. Let me know what you have.

Thanks,

Jon

ElGuappo
08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
just for the record, the larger the volume of a tank the easier it is to care for. at least IMO. plus upgrading can get expensive.

jonnytens
08-03-2009, 11:42 PM
i already have several large freshwater tanks so i don't really want another big tank in the house, plus i don't want to invest tons of money into a large saltwater setup. If i start small maybe 20 -33 gallons that will give me an idea of whether saltwater is for me or not. Saltwater tanks seem to be a lot of work and very finnicky compared to freshwater. I see a lot of ppl trying it then selling it all a year later, so i don't want to invest lots just in case i do the same.

ALBERTA REEF
08-08-2009, 04:27 AM
I tought about that too. I did not wan't to big of a tank, but I found 75 -90 gallon is a good size to start. lot of full systems are for sale. reguler tanks, wave tanks and corner tanks I have seen on Canreef for sale. shop around see what one you like. No harm in looking. :smile:

Blue-Wolf
08-08-2009, 04:31 AM
what price range? I may or may not have a setup for you.

intarsiabox
08-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I have been keeping several freshwater tanks for about 3 1/2 years now and think it is time I dip my toes into some saltwater. I am looking for a complete setup , preferably small, don't want to start big yet. I have seen those biocubes and such they are kind of what i am looking for. Let me know what you have.

Thanks,

Jon

Family Pet Supercentre in the Park has a 29g Biocube and stand for sale for $429 I believe. I think it comes with some extra accessories as well. Not a bad price with the stand included. If the wife didn't think I spent enough on a new tank already I was eyeballing it for a seahorse tank myself! Lots of gear goes up for sale daily on Canreef though, you could always buy a 29g tank and piece it together as items come up for sale. This way you get what you want and can get good quality stuff for cheaper.

Blue-Wolf
08-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Mind you, if you are looking for a 10g tank, with filter, Protien skimmer, heater, powerhead, SW lights, lid, sand and live rock, then I have one. Just need to buy a stand for it is all, and I know big al's has a stand that is slightly damaged for about 35 bux as well. :)

oilfieldsafety
08-09-2009, 05:45 AM
+1 for a larger system. IMO 90%+ people that start in salt end up upgrading to a larger system. If you enjoy the hobby fresh or salt go the largest system that you can (within reason :lol:) it will save you time and money in the long run, not to mention the fact that it also helps with the stability of the system. Regardless of what way you go, good luck and welcome!

Shane

regent2009
08-09-2009, 09:42 AM
i just started a 72g bowfront with a 21g sump 3 months ago n i already consider upgrade to 135g+. man, u have not much room to move the coral/liverock n so limit on selecting fishes. min. 70+ is a good start. just my own opinion.:wink:

dylanserbin
08-09-2009, 02:26 PM
+1 for a larger system. IMO 90%+ people that start in salt end up upgrading to a larger system. If you enjoy the hobby fresh or salt go the largest system that you can (within reason :lol:) it will save you time and money in the long run, not to mention the fact that it also helps with the stability of the system. Regardless of what way you go, good luck and welcome!

Shane

+1!!!!

I started with a10g... bad choice. now i want to do a 30-40 or even bigger if i could but i dont have the money :(

intarsiabox
08-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I agree that a lot of people that decide that they like the hobby do upgrade to a larger tank but there are also a lot of big expensive systems for sale from people who spent a fortune on a system and found out it wasn't for them. If you think you will like it get the biggest you can afford. If you start small and upgrade later you can always use the smaller set up as a species or biotope tank, nothing says you have to get rid of it. Nanoreefing has got a huge following and it is growing all the time. You can check out nano-reef.com for ideas or the nano forum on this site as well. Just my 2 cents.