PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for you gurus out there!

DJ_drew
08-03-2009, 09:26 PM
does anyone know if butterfly fish eat or pick at anemones?

thanks!
Drew

banditpowdercoat
08-03-2009, 09:53 PM
If longnose, then no, mine doesn't I hear they may nip clams tho.

Snappy
08-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Get some pyramid butterflies, they are very safe.

DJ_drew
08-04-2009, 05:55 AM
basicaly what im looking for is a copperband that will eat my aptaisia because as of right now the heat killed all my coral in my tank and the only thing that made it was my fish (not all) and 2 anemones!

naesco
08-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Sorry to hear about the tank death. I expect your heat problem affected many reefers.
On the bright side your anemone survived.

I would not recommend the copperband for aptaisia control.
The statistics in keeping them alive are poor.
Many eat coral as well as aptaisia
And many of them refuse aptaisia.

I have had one hundred percent success with peppermint shrimp. Make sure you are sold peppermint shrimp and not a relative of them and make sure you acclimatise them very slooooooowly.

Navarchus
08-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Sorry to hear about the tank death. I expect your heat problem affected many reefers.
On the bright side your anemone survived.

I would not recommend the copperband for aptaisia control.
The statistics in keeping them alive are poor.
Many eat coral as well as aptaisia
And many of them refuse aptaisia.

I have had one hundred percent success with peppermint shrimp. Make sure you are sold peppermint shrimp and not a relative of them and make sure you acclimatise them very slooooooowly.

+ 1 :thumb:

DJ_drew
08-04-2009, 09:27 AM
haha funny thing is i have 4 of them in the tank already (pep shrimp) and they dont seem to make a huge difference although i have a 300 gal tank and i bought half of the rock from another guy on here not realising it had aptaisa although its not the biggest problem to have the rock is gorgeous
great shapes and such so maybe i should just let the shrimp do their thing hopefully overtime they will get it all

Navarchus
08-04-2009, 10:54 AM
haha funny thing is i have 4 of them in the tank already (pep shrimp) and they dont seem to make a huge difference although i have a 300 gal tank and i bought half of the rock from another guy on here not realising it had aptaisa although its not the biggest problem to have the rock is gorgeous
great shapes and such so maybe i should just let the shrimp do their thing hopefully overtime they will get it all

you have to add some more!

Drock169
08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I've never had success with peppermint shrimp, they always decide to eat my xeniid's instead.
But I've never had any issue's with my copperband. Just make sure you buy one thats eating, and keep an eye on it over time to make sure it doesnt have internal parasies.

bowkry
08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I had tones of aptaisia then I added a copper band and now I have none.