PDA

View Full Version : how to select a tattoo studio (Edm)

mark
08-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Wife seriously wants to get a small tattoo.

Know nothing about this so other than seeing some of the artists work, what should she be looking for and any places recommended in Edmonton?

banditpowdercoat
08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I would look to see how clean the place is, and ask how they sterilize the needles.

findingnemo1
08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
For sure you want to know about there sterilization techniques. I went around to a few shops untill i found everything i was looking for.I also googled 'Calgary tattoo reviews" and found alot of them out there. Was able to talk to the artist as this was for my foot and it is one of the more painful spots. I think the comfort level and trust has to be there with the artist as this is something you will have for life...

I have also sent you a pm with just another little tidbit of info...

patpare
08-03-2009, 06:05 PM
In my opinion as a tattoo collector,i would not limit myself to a local shop just cause it's conviniant(i cant spell worth s@#t).Look around and make sure you look at the artists book and speak with them for while to see if you fell confortable with the artist.
Good luck:peace:

pelle31
08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
In my opinion as a tattoo collector,i would not limit myself to a local shop just cause it's conviniant(i cant spell worth s@#t).Look around and make sure you look at the artists book and speak with them for while to see if you fell confortable with the artist.
Good luck:peace:

I agree with this post as well!! Also talk to others that have nice tattoo's and see where they got them from.

inkslinger
08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I would look to see how clean the place is, and ask how they sterilize the needles.

well one thing, a real tattoo shop does not sterilize needles, we destroy em an use new for each customer!
If you live in Edmonton, check out Ink machine and Atomic Zombies two stellar shops for Edmonton...I belive there is a tattoo convention also coming up the thirs weekend in Aug. Packed full of some of the best artist in the world, and thats my 2 cents!!

04scoobysti
08-03-2009, 11:52 PM
well one thing, a real tattoo shop does not sterilize needles, we destroy em an use new for each customer!
If you live in Edmonton, check out Ink machine and Atomic Zombies two stellar shops for Edmonton...I belive there is a tattoo convention also coming up the thirs weekend in Aug. Packed full of some of the best artist in the world, and thats my 2 cents!!

+1
That's what Danny does at Ink Machine, i've got all my work done there.
They also dispose of the tubes as well. I've heard nothing but good things about Marina at Atomic, but both of those shops you may to wait a year or 2.
Shawn at Ink Machine does phenomenal work and he would probably take on smaller projects. Lucky strike and Capital tattoo also do top notch work.

mark
08-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks all.

How does a convention work? Do you pre-book for a tattoo or stand in-line?

G1GY
08-04-2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks all.

Book in advance for anybody noteable, but that's not to say you won't hook up with some amazing up and comer.:smile:

EDIT:
I forgot to mention......... Like inkslinger said, Atomic Zombie for the win! You won't go wrong with them.

michika
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks all.

The Tattoo Convention is just that, a convention. You pay to get in, and you can wander around for all three days, August 14th, 15th, and 16th. A lot of people tend to book time with artists while they are there, and then get work done throughout the weekend. Its fun! There are also clothes, jewelry and a bunch of other booths to check out.

I also have no idea on the pricing to get in, but I hear last year it was somewhat expensive when you add in parking, entry, and food on the grounds. I get in free every year, so I can only tell you what I heard last year.

fishoholic
08-06-2009, 04:50 AM
I've had a few friends get tattoo's from Bear Skin Art, I was allowed to watch while one friend got his done and I got my belly button pierced there. Very clean store, good artists and no one I know has had and problems after going there. I highly recommend them. Here's a link http://www.tattoosbybear.com/

mark
12-23-2009, 02:25 AM
other things came up so the wife hasn't gotten a tattoo yet but she came across At Needlepoint (http://www.atneedlepoint.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=62) while wandering through the local mall.

Was impressed by books of the artists work and after talking to her (the tattooist) is excited.

Anyone hear of this place?

muck
12-23-2009, 04:16 AM
I dunno Mark.. but for some strange reason I need to get a tattoo now. :mrgreen:

Johnny Reefer
12-23-2009, 04:45 AM
I know one way not to select a studio. Don't go to a studio just because it's owned by friend's cousin. :nono:

mark
12-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I know one way not to select a studio. Don't go to a studio just because it's owned by friend's cousin. :nono:

now that doesn't sound like a good story

globaldesigns
12-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Tattoos are like fish, do your research! There are alot of good Tattoo artists around and also great shops. Ask friends and go online and ask around.

Yippeee!!!! couple more weeks and I am in getting my second one. I go to Smilin' Buddha here in Calgary. They are one of the best here, and the artists are great.

Merry Ho Ho

Johnny Reefer
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
now that doesn't sound like a good story
Well it wasn't a disaster, so I can live with it. It's a tatty of a mermaid and two stylized dolphins. The dolphins are from the logo of the government division I work for, so this artwork was existing. The mermaid was her design. I lived in Courtenay at the time and her studio was (is?), let's just say "on the mainland". Because of the distance, the final design was sent to me by fax, but in black and white. I fault myself for not noticing, before the final work, that she screwed up the placement of one of the dolphins pectoral fins. Anyway, I'm probably the only one that notices it. Aside from that, her mermaid is adequate but not stellar. There is better work out there. As well, whenever I made a comment or two, she got all defensive. As if I was attacking her artistic skills. This was all 20 years ago. Yup, do research.

Tattoos are like fish, do your research! There are alot of good Tattoo artists around and also great shops. Ask friends and go online and ask around.

Yippeee!!!! couple more weeks and I am in getting my second one. I go to Smilin' Buddha here in Calgary. They are one of the best here, and the artists are great.

Merry Ho Ho
Ya, good friends that are informed and not just wanting to help out someone else, (like a cousin), they know.
Or friends that aren't trying to inflate their ego. I recall a time I was in need of some stereo equipment (or was it a TV?) and this co-worker told me " Oh, you should go to xxxxx Audio Video. Ya, I'm in good with the manager there. His names xxxxx. Talk to him. He'll give you a good deal. Just tell him Jack sent you". So I go there, ask for xxxx the manager and tell him "Ya, Jack sent me". The response? "Who? Who's Jack?". Embarassing. I'll never fall for that again.

Anyway, hijack over.

Good luck,

Mr.nintendo
12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
As a full time tattoo artist myself I definitely recommend atomic zombie, have had artists from my shop here in Vancouver guest spot there and it's a seriously top rate shop