PDA

View Full Version : Custom tanks?

titus
04-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Hello,

For glass tanks, you can try Delta Aquatic Ltd. They are in Richmond, BC. What size and shape do you need? I'd imagine buying an existing common shape/size unit to be a lot cheaper.

MitchM
04-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Define decent price. I just received a 204g (72l x 30w x 22d) for $950 delivered. 2 8 x 8 overflows with 4 2 1/2 drilled holes from Wai's Aquarium here in Calgary.

Mitch

[ 04 April 2002, 13:42: Message edited by: Carpentersreef ]

Son Of Skyline
04-04-2002, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I know of Delta Aquatics, but as far as I know they only deal with stores (I used to deal with them when I managed a Pet Habitat store).

I'm looking at a tank like 26"x24"x20" 52gal with 1 hole drilled in for sump plumbing.

I guess "decent price" would be something similar to a mass produced 55gal price range (around $100 or less I guess).

Troy F
04-04-2002, 06:00 PM
Mitch, that is a great price for custom work. I paid that for my 155gal tank.

PS: SOS, Seastar make custom tanks. You can order through J&L or anyone else for that matter.

[ 04 April 2002, 14:01: Message edited by: Troy F ]

Son Of Skyline
04-05-2002, 04:37 AM
Does anybody know of a place where I can get a custom all glass tank made for a decent price? Nothing fancy, it would just be a basic rectangular shape, but not dimensions available on the market as far as I know. Thanks smile.gif

Jack Rainville
04-05-2002, 09:54 PM
I just read a post on another board where someone bought a 220 gal reef-ready tank with a 55 gal sump/refugium for $1100 from this place. Inter-American (http://go.to/interamerican)

Don't be fooled by the name. The guy said the company is located in Calgary.

George
04-06-2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Jack Rainville:
I just read a post on another board where someone bought a 220 gal reef-ready tank with a 55 gal sump/refugium for $1100 from this place. Inter-American (http://go.to/interamerican)
...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't forget that's US$1100. How much is that in Canadian?? Is it like ten thousands Canadian? :D

George

StirCrazy
04-06-2002, 11:38 AM
George that was most likely canadian.. inter-american is in Calgary, Alberta. they are (from what I have been reading) one of the better places to get tanks, price wise. The only problm I have heard with them is it takes a while for them to get the tank shipped, so if ou don't mind waiting a couple months check them out.

Steve

Jack Rainville
04-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Don't forget that's US$1100. How much is that in Canadian?? Is it like ten thousands Canadian? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The company's in Calgary, the guy who bought the tank lives in Ontario I think. The thread was a discussion about the costs of being a reefer in Canada, so I'm pretty sure the price he mentioned was Canadian dollars.

Jack

Chin_Lee
04-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Have anybody ordered from Inter American? The prices on the web site are very reasonable especially if they are in Cdn funds.

Bryan
04-06-2002, 06:22 PM
I have ,what would you like to know?

-=Bryan=-

Originally posted by chin_lee:
Have anybody ordered from Inter American? The prices on the web site are very reasonable especially if they are in Cdn funds.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Chin_Lee
04-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Bryan
How's their service?
Are their prices on the web Cdn or US?

Son Of Skyline
04-06-2002, 09:11 PM
I'd like to know how much shipping would be for a big tank like a 90+gal from Inter American.

StirCrazy
04-06-2002, 09:16 PM
some one on the board here got a tank from them and commented that it was cheeper than what they were quoted from sea star including the shipping.. I can't remember the name but if you do a serch onthe board her you should find the post.

Steve

fishface
11-18-2006, 11:29 PM
how's this for a revival of the old and dusty thread? :)
anyhow, is there anyone doing this locally (lower mainland) these days or is it still an order from seastar? anyone have any new info?

fishface
11-21-2006, 06:39 PM
nuthin'? from no one??

LostMind
11-22-2006, 02:42 AM
Seems to be seastar still.

Personally, I'd stay away from mitch at inter-american...

If you want to pay for the shipping, aquariumobsessed.com supposedly makes some great tanks (seen a lot of pics, never seen one in person tho)

JOSH
11-22-2006, 03:07 AM
inter american makes an awsome tank at a good price, just they take longer to build then they say

WWWD
11-22-2006, 03:09 AM
inter american makes an awsome tank at a good price, just they take longer to build then they say

You should do a search on both canreef and reef central to see the problems people have had with them. Some people have been stung pretty bad by mitch.

JOSH
11-22-2006, 03:15 AM
ive got two tanks built by him, good results, actualy if you talk to someone named rob there i think thats his name, hes really good, mitch makes a good tank too, nice seams, nice glass, no one is perfect, the only problem i had is they said theyd have it ready sooner

Neil
11-22-2006, 03:36 AM
i have called there and inquired about the prices advertised on the net- they guy didnt know about any website and laughed at the prices i had told him that were listed. However, i have been down there and have had some work done. If you have cash in hand and its a small job, mitch moves pretty quick,lets you hang around and shoot the shit. otherwise expect to have a nightmare dealing with them and if it doesnt wind up that way- consider yourself lucky. <----- it can happen

LostMind
11-22-2006, 05:16 AM
I think I've related my "mitch" story on this board enough.... however, simply cuz I hate being ripped off...

Short version: I ordered a custom 320g from mitch even though I knew his habits of being late. A lot of people stood up for his work, saying it was quality, just slow. My tank comes (very very late), it's supposed to have a solid plywood base but it doesnt, it is pieced together from 5 or 6 small pieces of plywood. When lifting it to the stand, one piece of plywood fell off. Quickly we grabbed the piece and put it back and gently placed the tank on the stand... POP. Ok, my fault in some way I suppose... even though I didn't get what I was promised (solid sheet vs several small pieces).

So I call mitch and am very polite but tell him I am little upset. He says he rushed the tank out cuz I called him so much (so it's all my fault), but he still feels bad, says if I order a second tank he'll drop the price by a few hundred bucks and get the tank built asap. I order again like an idiot, mitch takes my money and I never see a tank despite numerous phone calls and faxes... Of course, he strung it out so long, mastercard wouldn't even let me chargeback.

I mean, that's outright theivery. He STOLE my money.

Ok, so that's "short'ish", my bad. Guess I get a little worked up...

Dave C
11-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I just received my tank from Aquarium Obsessed and I've got nothing but good things to say about the quality & the company.

i2ik
11-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Aquarium Obsessed is in the process of making my tank right now. Up to now, i am very satisfied with the service, he have been answering all my questions and mails very quick! AO is a well known company based on reputation!

mseepman
10-11-2007, 11:37 PM
I thought I might bring this post back to life to see if anyone had some updated stories about their custom tanks that they could share with us. I'm going to be looking at getting a tank done (probably a 240g) in the near future and I would like some up-to-date opinions on what people have experienced.

LostMind
10-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Aquarium obsessed did great work for me.

mseepman
10-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Lostmind,

What did you end up getting from Aquarium Obsessed in the end? How did the price compare to the one originally made by Mitch? How did the quality appear as compared to the original by Mitch? I have heard great things about them already but more stories don't hurt.

Pan
10-15-2007, 08:00 AM
I think I've related my "mitch" story on this board enough.... however, simply cuz I hate being ripped off...

Short version: I ordered a custom 320g from mitch even though I knew his habits of being late. A lot of people stood up for his work, saying it was quality, just slow. My tank comes (very very late), it's supposed to have a solid plywood base but it doesnt, it is pieced together from 5 or 6 small pieces of plywood. When lifting it to the stand, one piece of plywood fell off. Quickly we grabbed the piece and put it back and gently placed the tank on the stand... POP. Ok, my fault in some way I suppose... even though I didn't get what I was promised (solid sheet vs several small pieces).

So I call mitch and am very polite but tell him I am little upset. He says he rushed the tank out cuz I called him so much (so it's all my fault), but he still feels bad, says if I order a second tank he'll drop the price by a few hundred bucks and get the tank built asap. I order again like an idiot, mitch takes my money and I never see a tank despite numerous phone calls and faxes... Of course, he strung it out so long, mastercard wouldn't even let me chargeback.

I mean, that's outright theivery. He STOLE my money.

^^^
Kind of seems like you GAVE it to him :(

danny zubot
10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I remember those days of dealing indirectly with Bow Valley aquariums. Their customer service left a lot to be desired.

Recently though, I ordered my 3' cube from them, expecting it to take a long time to finish. I think I ordered it on a Tuesday, and they called me on Thursday to pick it up.

Since this thread was started a lot of things have changed over there, including their location, and apparently their business habits.