PDA

View Full Version : secret of keeping blastomussa?????

mandarin man
08-02-2009, 05:01 AM
Hi guys,

I have two colonies of blastomussas, both are dying. One head recedes one at a time and then move on to the next one. My friend's blasto does the same thing dying slowly

My water parameters are good:

ca-420
mg-1350
kh -8
Potassium - 350
ph-8.2
supplement -pol xtra, trace element, coral snow.
nitrate- .5
t5 for my light, my friend (MH) - I do not think it is the light issue.

I don't not know what is going. Why blasto is so hard to keep? Do you have any ideas any secret? The only thing I can think of is the water is too clean....

I also notice that LFS has blastos that have been in their tank for so long are also dying.

Please help

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-02-2009, 05:14 AM
I keep mine in half shade. I don't think blastos need very much light, especially the red ones. It's also in the corner where I squirt food for non-photosynthetic corals.

BlueAbyss
08-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Do you feed your Blasto? I was under the impression that they need to be fed.

sphelps
08-02-2009, 02:19 PM
They do good in very low light (full shade) and need to be fed often. I don't keep them anymore because they are a little more difficult and require more attention than other corals.

mandarin man
08-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I do feed them quite often, once a week, spot feed with brine shrimp.

I always thought that blasto wellis required good light. I will move them to a shade area today. They are so hard to keep...

Thanks guys

tlo
08-02-2009, 05:06 PM
a good link on their care
http://www.asira.org/blastomussamicromussaacanthastrea

mandarin man
08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks tlo for the article.

This article recommends less light but most of the other sites stated medium lights. I think you are right, less light for blasto. I am going to move them to a less light area. Thanks