PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon !

Buccaneer
07-25-2003, 02:53 AM
Well I got those eductors and holy toledo :eek: ... I hooked them up to the 2 Mag18's and I cannot believe the storm in my tank ... now remember that these are not supposed to work with non-pressure rated pumps but try telling that to my fish that are trying to swim against the current or the corals that are getting knocked off the rocks ... they are back in place now on more secure footing :biggrin: :cool:

All I can say is WOW !

Cheers

Aquattro
07-25-2003, 04:22 AM
Glad to hear you're happy with those. I probably would have got one had the rep not told me that it wouldn't work with a MAG pump!!

Canadian Man
07-25-2003, 06:32 AM
Darn and I just ordered my Tunzee's tonight :lol:

How large are these?
How much has it increased the flow?

I need to come and check them out Steve!
Sounds cool

LostMind
07-25-2003, 07:30 AM
sounds interesting...

Buccaneer
07-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Glad to hear you're happy with those. I probably would have got one had the rep not told me that it wouldn't work with a MAG pump!!

He told me the same thing ??? ... I am on the prowl for Mak pumps or equivalent to replace the Mag 18's but thought since I had the eductors why not try it out and see :biggrin: :biggrin:

Cheers

Buccaneer
07-25-2003, 03:43 PM
Darn and I just ordered my Tunzee's tonight :lol:

Bummer :sad: ... you will be real happy with the Tunzee's tho I am sure

How large are these?

They are about 3" with a MPT ( you can order either MPT or FPT )

How much has it increased the flow?

Well that is purely subjective at this point :cool: as I have no way to determine in precise volumes but the old " hand in front of the output " test tells me ALOT ! :eek:

I need to come and check them out Steve!
Sounds cool

You been threatening to come over for a while but no Jonathon yet at Rastaland ... Oh yea if you do come my 3 girls want you to bring the bird LOL

Cheers

Canadian Man
07-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Well I will have to make the trip soon.
The bird can come but you have to have paper towels on hand and not mind poop on your shirts.....or carpet :lol:

Lofus
07-25-2003, 06:56 PM
What do the eductors do?

Buccaneer
07-26-2003, 06:55 AM
What do the eductors do?

http://www.kthsales.com/website/Misc/hello_salt_water_enthusiasts.htm

Take a look at this link ... it explains it better than I can

Cheers

kari
07-26-2003, 04:13 PM
I'm one of the guys that don't get it. The way I see it;

-your pump supplies a total amount of energy to the system
-you can manipuate velocity, pressure and volume of flow but the sum of the three still equal the same total. One goes up - other goes down.

Is there a power source involved with this unit?
Must be missing something in the explanation :confused:
I really don't like the term "think of it as magic." Only Harry Potter can do that stuff and I didn't see his name on the web page.

I too would be very interested in seeing the devise if RastaVille allows NE scum past the gates :biggrin:

Buccaneer
07-26-2003, 04:49 PM
I too would be very interested in seeing the devise if RastaVille allows NE scum past the gates :biggrin:

You are welcome over at any time Keri :biggrin: ... cant explain any better how it works but seeing is believing :eek:

Cheers

StirCrazy
07-26-2003, 05:12 PM
I'm one of the guys that don't get it. The way I see it;

-your pump supplies a total amount of energy to the system
-you can manipuate velocity, pressure and volume of flow but the sum of the three still equal the same total. One goes up - other goes down.

Kari, ok all the flow from the pump through the eductor still goes throught it, but instead of using it as just water movement they use that flow to create a "venturi" effect. this will pull "extra" water in from the sides and also cause it to move along with the stream, so in essence you are moving more water. the same effect is used to pump water and other fluids except the eductor would be incased in a housing with a pipe comming off the middle going into the fluid you want to pump. in this case you final fluid movment would be the amount generated by the pump plus the amount moved because of the venturi effect. beckets skimmers work on the same idea, except the second fluid they are pumping is air.

Rasta, did the dealer tell you they woulden't work or woulden't work as designed? they should develop a venture effect even with a little amount, but for my self I was sceptical about how much they would develop with less than the recomended amount of flow. would be interesting if we could figure out some way to measure it befor you get the new pumps so we can see how much of a difference they make.

Steve

Buccaneer
07-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Rasta, did the dealer tell you they woulden't work or woulden't work as designed? they should develop a venture effect even with a little amount, but for my self I was sceptical about how much they would develop with less than the recomended amount of flow. would be interesting if we could figure out some way to measure it befor you get the new pumps so we can see how much of a difference they make.

Steve

When I talked to Ken on the phone before I ordered he was insistent that a pressure rated pump is required I guess because of the back pressure created when the eductor is reduced to 3/8" orifice ? ... he worked it out that a Mak4 with 2 eductors would be more powerfull than with 1 ( 7 PSI with 1 eductor and 6PSI each for 2 eductors ) ... not sure how he came up with the math as he was working from a graph of head loss for that type of pump ... so all I did was put 2 eductors on each of my Mag18's as I would have done with the Mak4's

Does anyone know how to measure the output velocity of a pump ? ... maybe if Jonathon is reading this he can bring over his Mak4 and we can do a quasi-test with Mag18 on one end and Mak4 on the other ?

Cheers

kari
07-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Steve;

Thanks for the notes! I'll have to do the math and see the unit before it makes sense in my head. I didn't think of a venturi. Now I'm way too curious about the magic stuff. Going to look for the dusting text book.

Rasta;

You'll need an adaptable flow meter I figure. Not many of us have one hanging in the garage including myself. I would just compare to with/without using the old eyeball guage.

Canadian Man
07-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Food coloring in the water. Confetti :lol:

I could bring over the mak pump steve. It just means that I have to shut my skimmer down for a while which is no biggie.

cheers

StirCrazy
07-27-2003, 01:58 AM
food colouring would give the best visual indacation of flow but might be a pain in a reef tank as you would have tyo get it all out befor the second test :mrgreen:

Steve