PDA

View Full Version : Buying Copepods?

Eb0la11
07-31-2009, 06:07 AM
Has anyone ever considered this option to kick start your copepod colony? Im really thinking of buying like 1000 to put in my refugium and then I can get a mandarin a bit quicker.

http://precisionaquatech.com/

365seasons
07-31-2009, 06:22 AM
We've bought live tigger pods before. It helped kick start our colony for our pipefish. We just put them straight into the tank though. So long as there is lots of places for them to hide and breed, they reproduced quite quickly and our pipefish has been happy since

bignose
07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
I was thinking about ordering some for my dragonettes. I found this site http://homegrownreef.com/livepods.html in Calgary.

Robw
07-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I just tried the web site mentioned above and it appears to have some problems. There is no contact information. The paypal checkout doesn't work, it has an error message. Check out a few of the other pages for more errors. I was interested in getting some of this product locally but.....

Rob

xtreme
07-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I just tried the web site mentioned above and it appears to have some problems. There is no contact information. The paypal checkout doesn't work, it has an error message. Check out a few of the other pages for more errors. I was interested in getting some of this product locally but.....

Rob

I'd like to try some as well. Kinda hard though without any contact info.

I did manage to find a nice pic of Kevin from Red Coral in his hard hat on that site though.:lol:

Koresample
07-31-2009, 05:06 PM
i did exactly that for my mandarin and he is growing really well now. I got my copepods from thehotfish.com in Ontario (i live in Kelowna). They came packed in a cold pack and were fine. I dumped the whole bottle in my refugium and now it looks (3 weeks later) like bug ville in there!

ribbie
07-31-2009, 05:08 PM
thanks for the link. I've got a new 15 gallon and I'd like to get my pod count up.

Eb0la11
07-31-2009, 05:17 PM
What amount of pods do you think I'd need? My refugium is 9.3G and my display is 165. Id be getting two mandarins once I feel my copepod community is sustainable for them.

bignose
07-31-2009, 07:11 PM
I was interested in getting some of this product locally

I would definately buy some if they sold here.

ribbie
07-31-2009, 07:47 PM
I buy mostly all my equipment and supplies from JL aquatics in BC. Great service, amazing shipping. Best of all? Cheapest prices in Canada.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=rm-tp006

RuGlu6
07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
I buy mostly all my equipment and supplies from JL aquatics in BC. Great service, amazing shipping. Best of all? Cheapest prices in Canada.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=rm-tp006

I tryed these 3 times , followed instructions to the "T" and they never survived.
3rd time i aclimatzed for 2! days , all the same never seen these guys again...
I would try a different product if it would become avail in Canada.

ribbie
07-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I tryed these 3 times , followed instructions to the "T" and they never survived.

Really? That's odd because I've heard great success stories from members on other forums about this product.

Did you put them right into your main display or into your refugium? I would have called the company to ask what the deal was if 3 bottles showed poor results.

fragNplug
07-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Heya all,
the website http://homegrownreef.com/ is owned by me.
It is not even public, i had started the design and summer came so I have been busy with other projects.
I would like to mention this site was never advertised and how 2 people found it is quite odd.
However i will say here that it is a company that is not yet built this is why the website is not accepting orders.

RuGlu6
07-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Really? That's odd because I've heard great success stories from members on other forums about this product.

Did you put them right into your main display or into your refugium? I would have called the company to ask what the deal was if 3 bottles showed poor results.

three times tried three different aclimatisation methods in two different tanks, one is nano with no predators, second in the sump with no predators and third just in to the tank with one mandarine goby, one cluwn two tangs.
Like i said never seen them again.
I think the problem is that tigers are colder water species and my tank is on the wormer side of the scale (no chiller).
Having said all that i do have naturaly grown misyds shrimps and copypods in my sump, so go figure ? LOL.

BlueAbyss
08-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Yep, tiggers are a cool water species... they would do well in a tank housing Catalina Gobies! I believe they are also found in the same region as the gobies (coastal California? something like that).

Hey Eb0la, does that company you mentioned ship to Canada?

Eb0la11
08-01-2009, 05:04 PM
No its not, FragandPlug said it was his site that is still under construction along with the business side of it.

fragNplug
08-01-2009, 08:15 PM
It is my site but again yes not open until October, since it has found its way onto the search engines I have updated the contact pages and put notes on every page that the company will be starting in October.

naesco
08-01-2009, 10:00 PM

+1. They are a waste of money IME.