PDA

View Full Version : Need help!!! Chiller advice

aquatechy
07-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy a chiller for my tank. So ive decided to do some research, and was looking for some advice. What size should I get? I ve got a 100 gallon tank, running at about 83-85 right now :shocked!:

What brand? I know pacific coast imports is popular, as well as current and ecoplus. How about aqualogic? Are they really above the rest, when it comes to chillers? If they are, (and im asking you, fellow canreefers :smile:), I might consider one of them.

Please get back to me!!

Thanks so much guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lastlight
07-29-2009, 08:40 PM
From a lot of reading I've done the Tradewinds are very reliable but I'm not sure where to get them.

Aquatic Addictions
07-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy a chiller for my tank. So ive decided to do some research, and was looking for some advice. What size should I get? I ve got a 100 gallon tank, running at about 83-85 right now :shocked!:

What brand? I know pacific coast imports is popular, as well as current and ecoplus. How about aqualogic? Are they really above the rest, when it comes to chillers? If they are, (and im asking you, fellow canreefers :smile:), I might consider one of them.

Please get back to me!!

Thanks so much guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont forget Teco Chillers...TR20 available ( 2 day turnaround)

aquatechy
07-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Teco chillers? I havent heard of them before. Are they new to the market? How do they compare to aqualogic chillers?

Still looking for ideas, guys.

Cheers!

Tom R
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM
I have a PCI (Pacific Coast Imports) 1/2 HP and it dose a great job during these warm days. It is holding my 525G at a steddy 81 F.

Tom R

Aquattro
07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I was always happy with my PCI 1/4hp chiller on my 150.

Aquatic Addictions
07-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Teco chillers? I havent heard of them before. Are they new to the market? How do they compare to aqualogic chillers?

Still looking for ideas, guys.

Cheers!

http://www.tecous.com/

There's a link to some pertinent info on these :) these will be one of the two types of chillers we will be carrying. Like the price points .....inexpensive in comparison to other brands.

Myka
07-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Before you fork out the money for a chiller, have you looked at other options? Chillers may cool the tank, but they heat the room they are in A LOT. For me, a chiller would be a major last resort. How about turning your central air conditioning (if you have it) down a couple degrees? Buy a portable air conditioning unit (same price as a chiller) to cool the room down, plus you get to enjoy the cool. Fans on the tank and sump waters' surfaces (make sure the fans make ripples) blowing the hot air from the lights away?

lastlight
07-30-2009, 07:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken a little window AC unit wil also de-humidify for you as well. I know all the units condense so water's coming from somewhere...

BlueAbyss
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
+1 on the portable air conditioner... paired with a fan blowing across the tank or sump, and both you and the tank should be comfortable. They are expensive but awesome.

Or, consider turning your heaters up so the night time temperature drop isn't so major... if the tank wants to be consistently 83F, let it but don't let it drop at night. Coral reefs are commonly 85F around the tropics, it won't hurt the corals or fish (increases metabolism though, which means more bioload) but a fluctuating temperature will.

Myka
07-30-2009, 01:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken a little window AC unit wil also de-humidify for you as well. I know all the units condense so water's coming from somewhere...

I know our central air de-humidifies.