PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads up...

hummer
07-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I just received my shipment of frags delivered by FedEx. This is the first time I've received an order of frags and they just left it on the front step. If my wife didn't happen to see them walk away it would have been sitting there all day.
Does this happen to others who have had orders come in through FedEx?

So just a heads up to those waiting on shipments to check your front step often.

biocuber
07-28-2009, 05:14 PM
I have had Fedex leave boxes (not containing livestock) at my door when I wasn't home but anytime I have been home they have always knocked or rang the bell. The delivery guy usually wants to get a signature.

aquatic_rice
07-28-2009, 05:40 PM
geez, props to your wife!
like biocuber said, they're usually lookin for a signature. I've had them leave those tab things sayin when they are comin back, where to pick up, etc. etc. Never had anything left on my doorstep (maybe i have and someone just jacked it :p j/k *knock on wood*)

hummer
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Ya no doubt. But all the frags seem happy. Except for 1 that is DOA.

I just check the fedex site. this is what it says:
"Left at front door. Package delivered to recipient address - release authorized"

aquatic_rice
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
wtf? Nice.....

kien
07-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Usually the shipper (Frag-a-lot in this case) requests a signature or not. If they request a signature, then the carrier (FedEx) can not release the package until they actually get one! If the shipper does not *require* a signature then it is at FedEx's discretion to leave it at the front door or to leave a note to say they tried to deliver and they will try again. The same applies to all other carriers.. UPS, Purrolator, Canada Post, etc. If your shipper doesn't request/require a signature then the package can be left at your front door. On the other hand, if a signature was required, you could in theory throw the box into the garbage and call FedEx to ask them where your package is because you never signed for it. :lol:

sphelps
07-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Maybe they knocked and you didn't here them? When it comes to livestock I think it's better not to get a required signature. I would much rather have them leave the package at the door so I can find it later that day than have them keep it and try and redeliver the next day.

Zoaelite
07-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Maybe they knocked and you didn't here them? When it comes to livestock I think it's better not to get a required signature. I would much rather have them leave the package at the door so I can find it later that day than have them keep it and try and redeliver the next day.

For packages you can always pick them up at the designated post office after a certain time. During the summer I would prefer that they leave it on the step, during winter is a completely different story.
Levi

sphelps
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
For packages you can always pick them up at the designated post office after a certain time. During the summer I would prefer that they leave it on the step, during winter is a completely different story.
Levi
Canada post will often allow for pick the next day after 1pm. Sometimes if you're lucky and call the office they will have it later the same day but not very often. Couriers will attempt a redelivery the following day and if unsuccessful the second time they will usually request you pick it up from the depot. Without a signature you're guaranteed to get it that day even if you miss them briefly for whatever reason, with a signature you may miss them and then have to wait at least 24 hours. Couriers also leave the undelivered packages in the truck over night.

Atomikk
07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
I always, always ship with no signature option! If you are sending live animals through a courier, chances are the person is waiting at home for them. So why leave it up to chance that the person delivering has a bad day and decides to not ring your door bell, or wait patiently for you to open.

Delivery men always insist on leaving the package at the front steps, if they could. So make it easier for them.

Just my 2 pennies.

hummer
07-28-2009, 07:15 PM
No, they didn't knock. My wife saw them walk up to the stairs and placed the box on the steps. But ya, I think it's better not to require a signature either. Just that I would have preferred if they rang the door bell or knocked so I knew it was there. I'll know for next time to hit refresh on the tracking site every few minutes.:biggrin:

sphelps
07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Sounds like the delivery guy was being a little antisocial, maybe that guys towel finally fell off :lol:

hummer
07-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Lol

muck
07-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Sounds like the delivery guy was being a little antisocial, maybe that guys towel finally fell off :lol:
or he remembered your house from last time... :razz:

muck
07-28-2009, 07:50 PM
or maybe thats what Sphelps meant... :lol::lol:

whatcaneyedo
07-28-2009, 09:01 PM
I prefer signature required because last fall I had a delivery driver give my package to the wrong house! They just left it on their door step without knocking! The address on the box was correct and in big bold letters but I guess the delivery driver was dyslexic or something. Lucky for me it was only my $500 controller and not a shipment of livestock...

Carriers are such a pain and considering the prices they charge we really shouldnt have to put up with their incompetence. I've experienced all of the same problems that everyone else has listed in this thread so far and even a few others. Who knew package delivery was such a difficult job to do right. lol

mark
07-28-2009, 10:09 PM
I've had UPS do the drop and run (result was frozen test kits since -20), not Fedex, Puralator or Canada Post.

BlueWorldAquatic
07-28-2009, 10:39 PM

not when you have -30c winters.

Ken

Leah
07-28-2009, 10:59 PM
The real kicker is that when live goods are shipped through some of these companies they can not be insured as they do not ship corals or live goods so you take your chance
found that out the hard way after the fact.

ALBERTA REEF
07-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Just to let you Know UPS does the same. At least thay knock, then leave the package on the front steps. As the package says Bell expressveiw, Dell and so on. Just best to have it shipped to retired parents house or place of work. :razz:

sphelps
07-29-2009, 02:27 PM
not when you have -30c winters.

Ken
All the more reason in my mind. Undelivered packages will sit in the truck, outside, overnight, without heat. I'd rather it sit on my door step for an hour or two before I notice it, I mean you're expecting it so you'll see it eventually.

Myka
07-30-2009, 02:12 AM
I have a little sign on my door that asks all Couriers and Post packages to be left in the shade behind the side gate. I've received 5 or 6 packages in the last few months, and they've all followed my little note. :)