PDA

View Full Version : Which Tang can i keep together in my 130 gal?

Atmos
07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
wich ones should i get?
Tang - Powder Blue
Tang - Powder Brown
Tang - Naso
Tang - Chocolate
Tang - Hippo (Blue)
Tang - Sailfin
Tang - Scopas

they will be introduced at the same time.

banditpowdercoat
07-28-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a Hippo, Sailfin and Yellow in a 150g, they are just fine

JDigital
07-28-2009, 01:00 AM
I'd go with a Powder Brown for sure (well, I did.. lol) Scopas, and maybe a Sailfin... or just a PB and Sailfin... My 2 personal faves.

Lance
07-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Different species and/or colours tend to get along better. Sailfins get very large. Enjoy them.

fishoholic
07-28-2009, 03:15 AM
Salfin or scopas not both as they will mostly likely fight together and the same goes for powder brown or blue, having both will likely cause fighting.

Other then that, it's what you prefer. Also (as you mentioned) introducing the tangs at the same time seems to help. I've always been a big fan of naso tangs I have a blonde naso now that I'm glad I bought. I've also always liked the looks of chocolate/mimic tangs.

For about 8 months in a 120g (the tank was too small for all of them so I upgraded to a 230g) I kept a salfin, yellow, hippo/regal, and a lavender tang together with no problems.

tgoeujon
07-28-2009, 03:16 AM
ive got a sailfin, tomini and a purple in my 110. and im considering adding a powder brown or blue. either way you go just avoid close species.

naesco
07-28-2009, 03:24 AM
wich ones should i get?
Tang - Powder Blue
Tang - Powder Brown
Tang - Naso
Tang - Chocolate
Tang - Hippo (Blue)
Tang - Sailfin
Tang - Scopas

they will be introduced at the same time.

I would not consider the Powder Blue at all. They are difficult tangs to keep, often just up and dying for no apparent reason and taking some of the other fish in your tank with them.
Here is a website by the author Robert Fenner on the Powder blue and other bad tang species.
http://wetwebmedia.com/badacanthurusaq.htm
and here about the powder blue http://wetwebmedia.com/powdbluetg.htm

IME, go with the Powder Brown Acanthurus japonicus (not to be confused with a similar fish A. nigercans which has no orange on it.) The scopas and chocolate are good choices. Also consider the yellow and/or purple for colour, and the kole tangs.

After your tank is up and running for 4 months add them all together.

All tangs are ich magnets
Immediately start feeding them nori soaked in garlic extract or Garlic Extreme with Selcon to ward of the likely possibility that ich will set in.
The Kole tang requires film algae so keep one end of your glass uncleaned or make a pile of some smooth stones on the bottom. This pile also acts as a pod refuge.

Your tank has the size (length to accommodate tangs)

Both the Sailfish and Hippo grow very large. Picture a pie plate size fish in your tank.

Thanks for asking for advice before you purchased them.
Wayne

globaldesigns
07-28-2009, 03:30 AM
I have the following:

- Sohal Tang - more aggressive than most tangs, but does well in my 180 gallon
- Blue Tang
- Yellow Tang

You will find tangs susceptable to ICH, but I have had good luck with the above. Powder Blues are very hard to keep so I don't recommend them

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Tang - Powder Blue
Tang - Powder Brown

Choose one not both - PBs will fight (I have a Gold Rim or Powder Brown & its one of the most beautiful fish in all my tanks) Also have Powder Blue but it killed a much larger Powder Blue that I tried to introduce into a 210g.

Tang - Naso

Gets huge.

Tang - Chocolate
Tang - Hippo (Blue)

Both nice fish. Hippos are icky & often get kinda blotchy with age if not fed enough seaweed/nori.

Tang - Sailfin

See note for Naso.

Tang - Scopas

Kinda plain-Jane but it has its own appeal.

parkinsn
07-28-2009, 04:22 AM
I had a Blue, Purple and PBT in my 120g for a while no prob, moved them to a 170 no prob until my PBT died a month or so later. :sad: I put my purple and blue in the same day and never see them fight. My purple is pretty aggressive to new tank mate though. I like blond naso's and browns too...

As Naesco said PBT's are harder to keep and do tend to die for no reason (huge ich magnets), but they are not impossible. As well they are fairly active and aggressive to other tangs.

belzebuth
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I have the following Tangs:
Hippo
Naso
Powder blue

The powder blue is a recent addition(about a month ago). The Naso and Hippo have been together for 5 years without any problem.

fragNplug
07-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a regal blue tang, yellow tang, and a large naso tang in my 180.
Mostly the rule of thumb is to make sure they are not the same color or shape.
If you add them all at once u wont find them fighting over territory.
However a friend of mine has 3 yellow tangs in one of his tanks, so all rules dont always apply.

pluff
08-02-2009, 07:42 AM
I have a powder blue (3)years a naso and a yellow in a 150 gallon.... never any problems..

Navarchus
08-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I used to have in a 125 g reef system (listed in the order of introduction):
- Purple tang (very hardy fish the starter of my tank)
- 3* yellow tang (same size as the purple)
- Clown tang (introduced very small)
- Blue powder.

All were good mates !

Navarchus
08-02-2009, 09:15 AM
BTW I sold them as a group and they still get along at the buyers tank!